Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Leeds win

14 minutes ago, chara said:

Hmm kev...that is advanced coaching levels...no wonder The Poch missed such deep technical stuff.... no wonder you and Iget puzzled..... if only we had played a bit or even watched more football?

I guess we are old school.We are fuddy duddies that have no time for XG  and judge a player of what we see in a competitive game.

43 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I guess we are old school.We are fuddy duddies that have no time for XG  and judge a player of what we see in a competitive game.

You can see the dividing line between coaches who win something and those who are just happy to be seen as decent. Whether you like or hate the football played by the teams of Mourinho, Guardiola, or Conte, one thing that unites those coaches is attention to details, to the last inch of where a player should stand in every situation, and who they should mark or look out for. It now seems that all Pochettino does is send out the team to "play some football", and put his feet up. That approach is ancient.

It's no secret what Rodri does for  City when a team retreats. Replays of the City's equaliser showed two free Chelsea players running the other way leaving Rodri to strike. It's highly possible that a  top coach would have instructed a plan to keep an eye on Rodri and come away with 3 pts. That's the difference between "playing well, making progress"  and actually winning , the fine margin that Pochettino will never breach. 

Edited by Siidi
  • Like 3

Same old story really…..a game littered with individual sloppy mistakes by incredibly naive players. 

I stand by the same view I have had all season. You stick 3 experienced players through this spine, not necessarily world class players even. We are a minimum of 10pts better off in the league.

For arguments sake and not specifically these three - Dunk , Henderson , Toney….the whole situation would be very different right now.  

We are such a huge contradiction as a club. Inconsistent and difficult to predict results, yet completely consistent and easy to predict individual performances and mistakes. 

• Agree 4

So , a goal for Mudryk plus a decent performance with some beautiful raking passes , an assist for Caicedo and an assist for Enzo , obviously Pochettino's half time team talk put the fear of crossing the half way line in their heads for the second half but we still got it over the line .

Imagine what a coach who isn't scared of everyone and has any coaching ability could do .

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, kev61 said:

I thought he was ok for a young lad.The biggest disappointments for me were again Caicedo and Enzo.Nice assist by Caicedo for Jackson,and a nice assist by Enzo for Gallagher but apart from that  they rarely feature.

They are underperforming(to put it mildly)for the price paid.

If they are the 'engine of the team' then we must of got the engine from a morris minor 

How funny. I thought Caicedo had one of his best games for us last night. 

Nothing to do with the assist. Just his all around game. Constantly won back possession, was strong on the ball and found the right pass.  

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

Same old story really…..a game littered with individual sloppy mistakes by incredibly naive players. 

I stand by the same view I have had all season. You stick 3 experienced players through this spine, not necessarily world class players even. We are a minimum of 10pts better off in the league.

For arguments sake and not specifically these three - Dunk , Henderson , Toney….the whole situation would be very different right now.  

We are such a huge contradiction as a club. Inconsistent and difficult to predict results, yet completely consistent and easy to predict individual performances and mistakes. 

Kind of agree. But I will tell you something that would get us an extra 10 pts a season….the keeper going long when necessary. …The defence going long when necessary.

We neither have the players or the coaching skills to consistently weave our way out past an effective press. Almost everytime we get caught it ends up in the back of the net.

Another thing that will cost us 10 pts between now and the end of the season is if Sanchez replaces Petrovic. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, NoblyBobly said:

Kind of agree. But I will tell you something that would get us an extra 10 pts a season….the keeper going long when necessary. …The defence going long when necessary.

We need someone who can hold the ball up for this to become a useful option.  Not disagreeing, but most of our forwards are not back-to-goal players and the risk is the ball just comes straight back

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

We need someone who can hold the ball up for this to become a useful option.  Not disagreeing, but most of our forwards are not back-to-goal players and the risk is the ball just comes straight back

True, but better the ball coming straight back from the opponents half than the edge of our own area!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

True, but better the ball coming straight back from the opponents half than the edge of our own area!

That is exactly the point. I rather one of their defenders has it 80 yards from our goal than one of their forwards 18 yards from goal. 
Not only that but I have seen us have great chances and even score from a hopeful Petrovic punt upfield. Sanchez thinks he’s Pele. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

That is exactly the point. I rather one of their defenders has it 80 yards from our goal than one of their forwards 18 yards from goal. 
Not only that but I have seen us have great chances and even score from a hopeful Petrovic punt upfield. Sanchez thinks he’s Pele. 

Said it earlier in the thread, no surprise we concede a silly goal with Sanchez back in goal - Not directly his fault, but he played his part.

Bad coaching is the issue, don't get players to try to do things that they aren't very good at. Disasi is not John Terry, Bobby Moore or Franz Beckenbauer.

By the way, did anyone see the footage of the away fan (female fan) last night falling from the second tier down onto empty seats in the lower tier - scary stuff. But they are a special class of loony, so it doesn't surprise that much. Hope that they're ok though.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, east lower said:

Said it earlier in the thread, no surprise we concede a silly goal with Sanchez back in goal - Not directly his fault, but he played his part.

Bad coaching is the issue, don't get players to try to do things that they aren't very good at. Disasi is not John Terry, Bobby Moore or Franz Beckenbauer.

By the way, did anyone see the footage of the away fan (female fan) last night falling from the second tier down onto empty seats in the lower tier - scary stuff. But they are a special class of loony, so it doesn't surprise that much. Hope that they're ok though.

Not excusing what Disasi did as it was shite, but he was in a deep right back position, being closed down, when given the ball. 

Coaching is the other issue there. That ball should have gone long. 

28 minutes ago, Ham said:

Not excusing what Disasi did as it was shite, but he was in a deep right back position, being closed down, when given the ball. 

Coaching is the other issue there. That ball should have gone long. 

I agree not wholly down to him, Sanchez more than dropped him in it. The script though is written by the coach, he dictates the style.

Disasi is a bit of a head-it/tackle-it type of centre half (bit of an overstatement, cause he can play a bit) so why set him up to fail - senseless.

4 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Yeah, it might not be the modern way of playing and might be ugly on the eye, but at the moment playing it long is safer than fannying about with it in and around our pen area. 

Not just boot the ball aimlessly long but keep the likes of Jackson and Mudryk hogging the halfway line and look to pass it lone over the defenders for our players to run into 

33 minutes ago, east lower said:

I agree not wholly down to him, Sanchez more than dropped him in it. The script though is written by the coach, he dictates the style.

Disasi is a bit of a head-it/tackle-it type of centre half (bit of an overstatement, cause he can play a bit) so why set him up to fail - senseless.

As I have said previously and I'm sure people are now sick of it , like Rome , all roads lead to Pochettino being clueless. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

As I have said previously and I'm sure people are now sick of it , like Rome , all roads lead to Pochettino being clueless. 

I'm with you on The Poch as you know but I would question that he's clueless...it's more dangerous than that...he has clues but unfortunately none of them "join up".

A "war story" to bore you with...so stop now if unwanted...

As a real vet I was asked occasionally to turn out as a favour to shore up a side or such..add that bit of experience on a one game request usually from old team mates...lower stuff and still easy for me...

LB kept pushing his winger inside and causing all sorts of issues around the corner/edge of area...I quietly took him to task and asked him politely wtf was he doing..my answer was he was pushing the oppo away from the byline/corner so he couldn't cross or such...I politely pointed out that out on the by line if marked properly....the oppo had limited options and gave me and others more chance..and time...as opposed to all the options in front of goal etc I also at half time explained to him that if there was a set up that swallowed the winger if he was pushed inside ..too sophisticated for that level by far..it might work...he had the clues but not the answers!..Over simplified for brevity but....

Make any sense ? (Apologies again for OG yesterdays,)

Edited by chara
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

It doesn't really matter who we line up in defence, Thiago Silva included, a diagonal ball to our far post is all it  takes to score against us. It's clearly a coaching problem. 

There's a lack of discipline running through the team that has nothing to do with experience. Enzo isn't exactly a kid, but doesn't seem to care about making the right decision instead of show boating. You don't do that with a manager with authority. 

Edited by Siidi
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Siidi said:

It doesn't really matter who we line up in defence, Thiago Silva included, a diagonal ball to our far post is all it  takes to score against us. It's clearly a coaching problem. 

There's a lack of discipline running through the team that has nothing to do with experience. Enzo isn't exactly a kid, but doesn't seem to care about making the right decision instead of show boating. You don't do that with a manager with authority. 

It’s all about experience and lack of leadership in my mind. Many of the players make stupid mistake after mistake, they don’t play percentage football, because on the whole, they have no idea how to manage a game. 
The manager and coaching are not exempt from responsibility on this, and he may not be the right manager to lead the club to success and major trophies. However, in the current tense, he has such a difficult job on his hands managing this group of players, for where majority of them are in their careers right now. 

The constant terrible decision making and stupid lapses in concentration ,and mistakes is not down to the manager. These constant issues affect every single game, and they happen on 7-8 occasions during every single game. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Siidi said:

There is a problem defending the high ball that's put into the box, be it from live play or set pieces, and while some of it may be improved on the coaching side of things there is also a genuine lack of defensive presence. Disasi and to an extent Colwill give us a bit of height and aerial presence, but otherwise we're pretty thin on most occasions. No amount of coaching is going to remedy regular mismatches. 

We used to have at least one fullback that had both size and aerial ability, but we've sort of lost that in recent years and more so with both Chilwell and RJ missing extensive periods. While we could also rely on a Costa or Drogba to win their share of defensive headers as well.

Experience would help from an organisational stand point and when it comes to managing games, but we need a few more physically imposing players that can throw their weight around and win a header.

We've got the 19th tallest team in the league on average, at 178cm. It's no great surprise we're vulnerable in the air. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Sanchez thinks he’s Pele. 

I doubt Sanchez is comfortable trying to play out from the back.The whole back line must be 'coached' to do this.

I would wager Sanchez would rather launch it to take the pressure off himself.

Playing out from back puts the whole back line under pressure.It hasn't worked in the past and will never work in the future with this squad in particular. It is the most blatantly stupid thing I have seen in the modern game.

19 hours ago, Ham said:

How funny. I thought Caicedo had one of his best games for us last night. 

Nothing to do with the assist. Just his all around game. Constantly won back possession, was strong on the ball and found the right pass.  

Both of them has had more bad games than good imo.There should be no where to hide in midfield yet I rarely see them feature.

Conor Gallagher is  a much more valuable player than both of them and cost a handful of rice compared to them.

40 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I doubt Sanchez is comfortable trying to play out from the back.The whole back line must be 'coached' to do this.

I would wager Sanchez would rather launch it to take the pressure off himself.

Playing out from back puts the whole back line under pressure.It hasn't worked in the past and will never work in the future with this squad in particular. It is the most blatantly stupid thing I have seen in the modern game.

The actual tactic is not a bad one but like any tactic it needs players who can actually carry it off and not attempt it every every time!,,,,,and certainly not with the players available at this time.

The Cat was/is my hero..at one time I tried to emulate the way he seemed to so cleanly "snatch" the high ball...it didn't work for me...so I stopped....when "we" could take "short goal kicks it had to be used with caution and with a clear understanding with the defenders involved...too often and the close down made life a bit "difficult". same with the old pass back when the keeper could pick up the ball BUT it needed real trust between the players and keeper..

As I type I see a post coming in from you...just checking it!

15 minutes ago, chara said:

The actual tactic is not a bad one but like any tactic it needs players who can actually carry it off and not attempt it every every time!,,,,,and certainly not with the players available at this time.

The Cat was/is my hero..at one time I tried to emulate the way he seemed to so cleanly "snatch" the high ball...it didn't work for me...so I stopped....when "we" could take "short goal kicks it had to be used with caution and with a clear understanding with the defenders involved...too often and the close down made life a bit "difficult". same with the old pass back when the keeper could pick up the ball BUT it needed real trust between the players and keeper..

As I type I see a post coming in from you...just checking it!

I never got to see him in the flesh but I trust your judgement.There will be many who say he was responsible for the defeat against West Germany in the 1970 world cup.

Imo Gordon Banks was the best goalkeeper in the world at that time,and I think if he was between the sticks the England team would have won the game.

13 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I never got to see him in the flesh but I trust your judgement.There will be many who say he was responsible for the defeat against West Germany in the 1970 world cup.

Imo Gordon Banks was the best goalkeeper in the world at that time,and I think if he was between the sticks the England team would have won the game.

Heart was always with The Cat and head with Banksie.... the defeat was a bit more nuanced than 'istory tells it but it's gone and past,,,,,just watch the OT replay and see the real worth of the man..a delight to watch and an inspiration to any keeper,,then and now.

Watched him for so long ,,,until PC,,imho...there was not a better keeper at Chelsea....Eddie N and Carlo C close but for me still "The Cat".

Edited by chara