Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Everton Win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/04/24 at 18:00

28 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I am not as bothered by the dispute over the pen.

Well, that's probably because we were 4-0 up at the time, and he scored.

The wider problem is that this has happened 3 times now in the last few weeks. One of which was in injury time of a game we were losing 3-2. 

If this continues, there will come a day when it happens, and an important penalty is missed. It needs to be nipped in the bud now, and before it costs us. 

• Agree 3

45 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Defensively we still looked as vulnerable as we have done in recent weeks and months.

No we didn't. As usual I am afraid Celery, you are just doubling down in an articulate manner on an argument that isn't correct.

For example, I have changed my opinion on Mudryk, despite slating him. You could take a leaf out of my book and just occasionally (even once?) admit you were wrong.

Were we perfect? No. But we simply didn't look as vulnerable. We looked far less vulnerable.

Is Thiago the answer at 40? Of course not. Is Chalobah our new star defender? No. 

You just carefully ignore as usual that Disasi and Badiashille have been abysmal these last few weeks, and we have been conceding goals for absolute fun. 

First clean sheet since a couple in January when Thiago was playing. I'll take it.

9 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

No we didn't.

We did. In the first half at least. They missed a couple of very good chances, especially the one at 0-0

It is easy to get blindsided by chances taken / not taken.

Chance.PNG

Edited by paulw66

4 hours ago, SideshowLuiz said:

Noni was also arguing (albeit less petulantly) to take the penalty against United to equalize in the dying minutes. Don't think it's about stat padding for free, seems like it's more a case of ignoring the chain of command. All of this just adds unnecessary pressure for the PK taker - we're lucky Palmer doesn't seem phased at ALL under pressure.

Glad Poch has laid down the law, it's disappointing that this is even a talking point after our biggest win this season!

Really? REALLY??? You're accusing Madueke of being a paedophile?

Edited by My Blood Is Blue
I have removed the comment from the original post and so have taken it out of your quote as well.

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

We did. In the first half at least. They missed a couple of very good chances, especially the one at 0-0

It is easy to get blindsided by chances taken / not taken.

Agree to disagree then Paul. I am not just talking about goals conceded. Organisation, leadership on the ball play, confidence emanating from the back. All of that was way up last night.

IMO we are always going to concede chances under Poch because he plays so open - playing different defenders isn't suddenly going to chance that. But IMO not playing Enzo also contributed.

But yes, I know you @xceleryx and I will disagree so maybe best to leave it there.

Edited by Max Fowler

I think SKY and the Premier League have given up the fight for the league trophy and have now decided that the fight for European places should take precedent and so VAR was on our side and the referee actually booked players before their ninth transgression to keep us in the race to make things interesting going forward. 😉

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

As an aside did anyone else hear the Sky commentator falling over himself to mention that Gilchrist joined the club at 11 years old from QPR which was another snidey slight in my opinion so they could make out he wasn't as much one of us as we'd like to believe 

Yep, and no mention of his Dad and Grandad being season ticket holders.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think SKY and the Premier League have given up the fight for the league trophy and have now decided that the fight for European places should take precedent and so VAR was on our side and the referee actually booked players before their ninth transgression to keep us in the race to make things interesting going forward. 😉

Yes, how refreshing to have a referee who didn't allow them to get away with booting our players. 

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Agree to disagree then Paul. I am not just talking about goals conceded. Organisation, leadership on the ball play, confidence emanating from the back. All of that was way up last night.

IMO we are always going to concede chances under Poch because he plays so open - playing different defenders isn't suddenly going to chance that. But IMO not playing Enzo also contributed.

But yes, I know you @xceleryx and I will disagree so maybe best to leave it there.

Fair enough. Healthy debate / opinion swapping with no childish name calling.

Excellent.

have a nice day, Sir.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Really? REALLY??? You're accusing Madueke of being a paedophile?

I suspect the op does not understand the meaning of the word! I can't believe he would actually be making that accusation.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yes, how refreshing to have a referee who didn't allow them to get away with booting our players. 

I thought the ref was excellent last night, apart from being a bit lenient with the cards (I thought Everton were pretty niggly).

I thought when Chilwell came on he looked quite sharp and his passing was crisp. The run and shot he took which led to the 6th goal reminded me of the goal he scored against Porto in the CL

Edited by Miguelito07

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

No we didn't. As usual I am afraid Celery, you are just doubling down in an articulate manner on an argument that isn't correct.

For example, I have changed my opinion on Mudryk, despite slating him. You could take a leaf out of my book and just occasionally (even once?) admit you were wrong.

Were we perfect? No. But we simply didn't look as vulnerable. We looked far less vulnerable.

Is Thiago the answer at 40? Of course not. Is Chalobah our new star defender? No. 

You just carefully ignore as usual that Disasi and Badiashille have been abysmal these last few weeks, and we have been conceding goals for absolute fun. 

First clean sheet since a couple in January when Thiago was playing. I'll take it.

I have to say that after the 4th went in I became more satisfied that we finished the game without conceding and I don't think the fact that Silva was on the pitch is irrelevant. I would argue that there is something about players such as he that elevates them above the rank and file. You could play Desailie or Terry even now and you would see an improvement in the organisation of the defense that makes their age and physical ability irrelevant. No Thiago is not the answer but that is the type of player we need.

13 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I have to say that after the 4th went in I became more satisfied that we finished the game without conceding and I don't think the fact that Silva was on the pitch is irrelevant. I would argue that there is something about players such as he that elevates them above the rank and file. You could play Desailie or Terry even now and you would see an improvement in the organisation of the defense that makes their age and physical ability irrelevant. No Thiago is not the answer but that is the type of player we need.

Agreed - his ball skills are also criminally underrated and IMO have been done a complete disservice on here.

Thiago Silva Passing Accuracy 94.4%, Badi 91%, Disasi 89.6%
Thiago Silva Medium Passing Accuracy 96.6% Disasi, 93.2%, 92.9%
Thiago Silva Long Passing Accuracy 78.3%, Badi 70.9%, Disasi, 50.9%

AKA Thiago Silva is the best ball playing centre back of his generation and is still on another level to the other guys in that department

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

I thought when Chilwell came on he looked quite sharp and his passing was crisp. The run and shot he took which led to the 6th goal reminded me of the goal he scored against Porto in the CL

Yes that is a trademark Chilly moment, hopefully we will see plenty of that once he is back regularly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I slightly overreacted here @xceleryxand I apologise. I respect your different opinion!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RDCW said:

I thought the ref was excellent last night, apart from being a bit lenient with the cards (I thought Everton were pretty niggly).

Absolutely...but for me there were some really nasty tackles that were probably red not yellow,,, I seem to recall one that was just a full on body contact at pace with the ball long gone...plain assault not late or mistimed tackle...and now the disgraceful coming down on an opponent's foot seems to have been replaced by the follow through tackle that catches the foot in the same way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, chara said:

Absolutely...but for me there were some really nasty tackles that were probably red not yellow,,, I seem to recall one that was just a full on body contact at pace with the ball long gone...plain assault not late or mistimed tackle...and now the disgraceful coming down on an opponent's foot seems to have been replaced by the follow through tackle that catches the foot in the same way.

That was Tarkowski on Jackson as he turned to sprint away down our left in the second half. Total thuggery of the sort Clattenburg let go in the infamous Spuds game when we deprived them of the title. I read online that Keane was later booked for an even worse one but I can't recall that.

2 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

That was Tarkowski on Jackson as he turned to sprint away down our left in the second half. Total thuggery of the sort Clattenburg let go in the infamous Spuds game when we deprived them of the title. I read online that Keane was later booked for an even worse one but I can't recall that.

That's the one.... I got the impression that the yellow cards were not having the effect they should be having...didn't stop the nasty stuff that was going in..too many to list but I recall a nasty back of the heel/leg on Palmer....potentially game ending....I'm no "cover the players in cotton wool" advocate  but there's "vigorous" and there is "vengeful."

Again..I hate to see red cards, although biased enough to take the advantage when given, the imbalance often takes away the rythme of a game.... 

Too wide an area of debate but a handball or too much protest at the Official gets the same punishment as a potential career ending tackle....Go Figure,

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Keane trod on Jackson's ankle. Could have been really nasty. 

I didn't think I was the only one to see what was going on...I'm not so biased that I can't see Chelsea bad tackles but Everton ,for me. were showing that nasty "We can't win this but we will hurt you out of spite" attitude. Not as rare as may be thought.

Any one here remember the old Sunday morning reply to the usual thuggery?...something like "For F's sake...we all have to go to work tomorrow"...more or less articulate/colourful depending on the player! 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, chara said:

Dyche sent them out last night to get amongst us early on, and in particularly they set upon Gallagher firstly and I thought the ref could have acted more positively earlier.

Thankfully, to do this they had to come out of their usual MO of sitting deep and breaking on opposing teams, drawing free-kicks and corners. This left space for our attacking players to work in.

Their central midfielders were hardly bothered after 15 minutes and that plus the tactical changes affected them badly. Outside of the top three in the league, they had the best defensive record before last night. 

Edited by east lower
  • Thanks 1

Cole Palmer = CLASS.  And Madueke and Jackson should pipe down, that was pathetic, reminded me years ago when Lampard and Drogba had a row against Wigan about taking a penalty.  Lamps took it and scored, and Drogba scored a hat trick (one a penalty) after a half time bollocking by Carlo Ancelotti.  Frogaba got his golden boot so everyone went home happy.  Everton were toilet, I thought a side managed by Sean Dyche would at least go down fighting rather than surrender meekly.  Roll on Saturday and the FA Cup semi final!

Edited by blueandproud