Bournemouth 0 Chelsea 0

JaneB

I can't wait to see the team Poch puts out.Imo there were lots of lessons to be learned from the Forest game.

Palmer and Maatsen have to be played .If not please play Chilwell as a left back and play Colwil as a centre back for starters.

@Floyd25 That's true, though I doubt it made any difference to whether Elanga scored. Elanga could pretty much choose his spot. Equally, I am OK with seeing Petrovic play. He needs to be settled into the squad. However, I imagined his opportunity would come against Brighton on the 27th. If before, then I would prefer his debut to be against Bournemouth rather than Villa.

Edited by Sciatika

Feels like we're going into a cup game.

I'd like us to start with (4231): Sanchez(got no choice really); James, Disasi, Silva, Chilly; Gallagher, Enzo, Madueke, Sterling, Mudryk; Jackson;

Colwill may one day come good but at the moment he's just not at the right level. It would also be unfair to drop Gallagher for Caicedo, Gallagher has been better in defensive positions with less mistakes and is better at attacking; that may change with time but Caicedo has to do more to warrant his place.

What we will probably see (352): Sanchez; Disasi, Silva, Colwill; James, Gallagher, Caicedo, Enzo, Chilly; Sterling, Jackson;

Our faulty start has made this game more important than ever, not the result because a win is the only thing that can be a good result regardless; but the level of performance and the attacking threat we provide. It's vital we get as many players as possible scoring, it's a long season and I think Jackson is a great player but so far in his career he hasn't been a goal machine so the goals need to be shared around. That's the reason I'd leave Caicedo out as well, because Gallagher is more likely to get on the score sheet and we just need as many people getting goals as possible which gives us more options to choose from, apart from Sterling no one else has a history of being a regular goal scorer; even Nkunku's record is nothing to shout about. I say go with an attacking lineup and start getting the goals flowing, as long we can do that then we'll be ok, if we carry on not being able to put the ball in the back of the net I'm not confident we have the right players or the right manager to just get 1-0 wins.

Edited by Gurj SS

On 03/09/2023 at 11:22, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yep, must win already as we cannot allow for this form to become permanent, we need to get a win and a convincing result. Oddly, I think this international break may help us as it will allow Poch and his staff to assess the opening weeks and hopefully come to the conclusion that they need to tweak the approach.

If we come back and see Colwill at LB though, I will be very worried.

Petrovic

Gusto - Disasi* - Colwill - Chilwell

Lavia - Caicedo

Palmer - Enzo - Sterling

Jackson

*If Badiashile is fit, I'd bring him in.

Fully expecting us to lose multiple players to injury in the break so the above will no doubt change closer to the match.

So I already have to update this and it isn't even one of the players away on international duty. I'm waiting until the day before to make a team prediction, any of them could drop out before then. 

Is anyone else just sick of all this now? Feels like we have absolutely no luck at the moment. When was the last time we had a fully fit squad?

Jeez its been a long week and still a few days to go......international football breaks really are dreadful, even if we are not in the greatest run of form.

Hopefully, we can get through the next few days without any further injuries.

Sanchez

Gusto       Silva        Colwill      Chilwell

Enzo           Caicedo

Sterling          Palmer        Maatsen

Jackson

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Jeez its been a long week and still a few days to go......international football breaks really are dreadful, even if we are not in the greatest run of form.

Sanchez

Enzo           Caicedo

Jackson

Would prefer us to play either Mudryk on the left, or shuffle Sterling across to the left and use Madueke on the right. 

Seeing the complaints about using Chilwell at LW only to go and play another fullback there seems a little too ironic for me, particularly if we've got actual wide players fit.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Would prefer us to play either Mudryk on the left, or shuffle Sterling across to the left and use Madueke on the right. 

Seeing the complaints about using Chilwell at LW only to go and play another fullback there seems a little too ironic for me, particularly if we've got actual wide players fit.

I was touch and go with Maatsen or Madueke. I just think Maatsen deserves a chance, and that left hand side combo of Maatsen and Chilwell could compliment each other well in attacking and defensive situations. Whilst Maatsen is is primarily a left back, its his offensive contributions that is his main asset in this role.

Personally, I think the whole Chilwell at LW role is being overplayed. It's not a set up I would personally want to see, as I think we have other good options. At the same time, I don't think its as a major an issue as being made out.

Mudryk just has too many eyes on him  to start right now imo. He definitely needs a run of games and start, but on current performances, starting him is the equivalent of playing with 10 men right now. I just don't think we can afford to enter difficult games with him starting right now.

Edited by Thiago97

6 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

Sanchez

Enzo           Caicedo

Jackson

It is indeed. I’m sitting at Friends Arena (what kind of name is that btw???) having a few pints while waiting for Sweden - Austria to kickoff. My best mate is the 3rd ranking “coach” for the Swedish NT. Although I’m Swedish myself I’m not overly bothered with the NT.  Just here to support my mate (the coaching team will most likely be sacked if they lose this game). 

I fully agree with you team btw apart from one thing. I’d play Sterling as a LW and Madueke at RW. Otherwise I agree. Even if James is back from his injury I’d ease him back in. 

12 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

I was touch and go with Maatsen or Madueke. I just think Maatsen deserves a chance, and that left hand side combo of Maatsen and Chilwell could compliment each other well in attacking and defensive situations. Whilst Maatsen is is primarily a left back, its his offensive contributions that is his main asset in this role.

Personally, I think the whole Chilwell at LW role is being overplayed. It's not a set up I would personally want to see, as I think we have other good options. At the same time, I don't think its as a major an issue as being made out.

Mudryk just has too many eyes on him  to start right now imo. He definitely needs a run of games and start, but on current performances, starting him is the equivalent of playing with 10 men right now. I just don't think we can afford to enter difficult games with him starting right now.

I've not got any real issue with giving Maatsen an opportunity generally speaking, it's more doing so while we've got other attacking players for those positions fit and ready to be used and we're overlooking them for an untested LB to LW. It's far more benefits to us to get minutes into Mudryk and Madueke IMO. 

The overplayed situation of Chilwell at LW is something I do agree with however, I don't think it's been as problematic as it's been made out to be - especially early in the piece when Mudryk and Madueke weren't available, or with Palmer not here. What I would say though is that it does have a shelf life, I wouldn't be as satisfied with it if was to be a longer term thing where we're benching actual attackers that need games. 

So when do we play Mudryk then? If we can't do it now then is there ever going to be a period where he can actually be given a proper run of games/minutes to actually fit his feet a little. I can maybe understand this against some of the big boys, but against Bournemouth I see no issue. 

5 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I've not got any real issue with giving Maatsen an opportunity generally speaking, it's more doing so while we've got other attacking players for those positions fit and ready to be used and we're overlooking them for an untested LB to LW. It's far more benefits to us to get minutes into Mudryk and Madueke IMO. 

The overplayed situation of Chilwell at LW is something I do agree with however, I don't think it's been as problematic as it's been made out to be - especially early in the piece when Mudryk and Madueke weren't available, or with Palmer not here. What I would say though is that it does have a shelf life, I wouldn't be as satisfied with it if was to be a longer term thing where we're benching actual attackers that need games. 

So when do we play Mudryk then? If we can't do it now then is there ever going to be a period where he can actually be given a proper run of games/minutes to actually fit his feet a little. I can maybe understand this against some of the big boys, but against Bournemouth I see no issue. 

On Mudryk, I think you wait until you see positive signs in training and some of the noise has died down. The noise will always be there with him to some degree , because right now he is probably more of an internet hype invention, rather than an elite level PL footballer.

I don’t think it really matters who the opposition is. I just think throwing him in here after a 10 days away playing international football, against very high profile opponents where he has been in the public eye (in UK) and criticised for his performances, is unlikely to be the right time for him, but more importantly the right time for Chelsea. 
We need a positive result on Sunday. I don’t think that Mudryk starting right now is going to enhance our chances of a positive result. Without being unkind, we could be severely hampering our chances by starting him at present. 

Edited by Thiago97

Keep forgetting about Palmer...could he eventually be the Havertz we thought Chelsea were buying?

Need to see the "new" keeper sooner rather than later....if only to show he is good enough for the EPL and at least a good # 2 option (shudder).

That may be the difference later in the season.

I expect an unchanged team for Sunday:

Sanchez

Gusto Disasi Thiago Colwill

Caicedo  Gallagher

Sterling      Enzo        Chilwell

Jackson 

Unfortunately with Gusto at RB we need the extra CB in the team to avoid getting dominated aerially, meaning Chilwell gets bumped to LW again. I'm not sure Palmer, Madueke or especially Mudryk are much of an upgrade at this point anyway. 

If Badiashele is fit I would bring him straight in for Thiago. I would also like to see Enzo and Gallagher swapped as I think he will be a greater goal threat and this will allow Enzo to get more involved in build up. Three points would be lovely. 

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby

10 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

^ Gallagher and Enzo are the right way around for me
It is not as though playing Sterling Enzo and a FB means we don't have enough ball winners in the press.

Enzo does not want to be wasting his time in a holding position, he's said from the beginning of the season he wants to be a number eight so playing him as a ten is about as good as it gets in that line up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Enzo does not want to be wasting his time in a holding position, he's said from the beginning of the season he wants to be a number eight so playing him as a ten is about as good as it gets in that line up. 

Just because you’re playing in the two central positions doesn’t mean you have to hold though.  One player (Caicedo) plays the 4 / 6 position, and the other can play 6/8 depending on their profile.  

With 3 defenders who don’t get forward (Disasi, Silva and Colwill) plus Chilwell at left wing, and Caicedo,  there’s no reason why Enzo couldn’t play in the pivot with a license to get forward.  The benefit of this is that he gets on the ball deeper which gives him more time and space, but can still arrive late in the box. 

Martin1905 posted exactly the team I’d play..