JaneB

Matchday prediction  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Luton win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/12/23 at 11:30

36 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Lavia and Mudryk both a doubt for this one, plus the rest that are out. Very possibly risk we see Jackson and Broja starting together again.

Surely Sterling and Palmer replace Maatsen (and possibly Mudryk) in the line up from the CP game, so Broja or Jackson on the bench.

52 minutes ago, johnnybozo said:

Only way to win this is:

Petrovic

Gusto Disasi Silva Colwill

Gallagher Caicedo

Madueke Palmer Mudryk

Nkunku

Anything else and we know what will happen. Keep that donkey Maatsen, Jackson and Pigeon Diving Boy Sterling away from all future Chelsea lineups please.

That’s super harsh on Sterling, if I may say. Blimey. 🙈

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, east lower said:

Here’s a photo from that FA Cup win in 2022. Unreserved seating, last in gets behind the pillars!!

I think the away allocation is around the 1000 mark, so not many will get to ‘experience’ it. Not that I thought it was all that great the night the photo was taken. If I remember correctly Saul scored for us.

IMG_0045.jpeg

Thank you for sharing the photo! Can't believe it was unreserved seating in this day and age, very old school. I wonder if that's the case even with visitors to them now in the PL?

Takes me back to my primary school years and my first ever away game my Dad took me to in the early 2000s, an FA Cup game away at Gillingham. We won 4-2. Our away stand was a true stand, all standing, a traditional terrace that had yet to be redeveloped to an all seater. The only taste I have ever got of traditional English football terracing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Depends on whether Nkunku has enough in him to start so soon after his first and only start of the season.

and there is Madueke

Assuming Gallagher and Caicedo in the two, then it is 4 from Madueke, Mudryk, Palmer, Sterling, Nkunku, Broja and Jackson. Even if Mudryk and Nkunku are not fit to start, it should still mean one of Broja and Jackson are a sub. 

Edit - thought Madueke did enough to merit a start. 

Edited by paulw66
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

and there is Madueke

Assuming Gallagher and Caicedo in the two, then it is 4 from Madueke, Mudryk, Palmer, Sterling, Nkunku, Broja and Jackson. Even if Mudryk and Nkunku are not fit to start, it should still mean one of Broja and Jackson are a sub. 

Edit - thought Madueke did enough to merit a start. 

Madueke has definitely done enough to start based on both the Wolves and Palace games.

Nkunku, Mudryk and Madueke on from the start could prove very fruitful indeed.

Edited by CarefreeMuratcan

36 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Thank you for sharing the photo! Can't believe it was unreserved seating in this day and age, very old school. I wonder if that's the case even with visitors to them now in the PL?

Takes me back to my primary school years and my first ever away game my Dad took me to in the early 2000s, an FA Cup game away at Gillingham. We won 4-2. Our away stand was a true stand, all standing, a traditional terrace that had yet to be redeveloped to an all seater. The only taste I have ever got of traditional English football terracing.

Like a lot of "Those were the good old days" the terracing was ok if strong and fit! Joining a human avalanche which carried you down completely out of control was exhilarating in memory and terrifying in reality! I recall in particular a Spurs game..shudder...the terraces not the game!..OH and mentioned a few times on the old forum...The "floating" ticket booth at FB station as the tide of humanity swept it away!

• Confused 1

I think I'd go for something like....

Petrovic

Gusto     Silva  Badiashille  Colwill 

Caicedo   Gallagher

Madueke       Palmer      Sterling

Nkunku

Sounds like Mudryk and Lavid have got knocks so won't be involved.   With the AFCON coming up, I'd be tempted to try Nkunku as a false 9 and  Madueke probably deserves a start too.

2 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Yes, the unallocated seating still is in place for tomorrow's game.

I think the last game I went to where we were still standing only may have been either Walsall, Wycombe or Shrewsbury? 

And as @chara states the surge forward was both exilerating and scary - depends on whether you kept on your feet or not. In the old shed when it was busy/full, blokes didn't't even try and bother trying to get to the toilet, did it where they stood, often splashing those about them - they were definately not all good 'ole days.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

I think I'd go for something like....

Petrovic

Gusto     Silva  Badiashille  Colwill 

Caicedo   Gallagher

Madueke       Palmer      Sterling

Nkunku

Sounds like Mudryk and Lavid have got knocks so won't be involved.   With the AFCON coming up, I'd be tempted to try Nkunku as a false 9 and  Madueke probably deserves a start too.

You'd keep Badiashile in the team? Maatsen hasn't been great but he's been played all over the place. I'd give him a few games at LB to see how he does and play Colwill in his preferred position.

Up front Broja needs a loan and we need a more experienced ST but that front four seems like the best option we have at the moment, based on current fitness reports.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Luton are handy enough at home that a good win would start to build some confidence again.
However I can't help thinking that we won't win. Confidence is still shot.

3 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Madueke has definitely done enough to start based on both the Wolves and Palace games.

Nkunku, Mudryk and Madueke on from the start could prove very fruitful indeed.

I do understand what you’re saying about Madueke, however, it was a brief appearance and we’ve seen other apprehended from him that have seen him make very little impact, so I’m not getting too excited about him yet.

I also think the way he plays, he may be better off the bench for us against tired defenders.

I would rather him start than seeing Jackson and Broja both start though.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

You'd keep Badiashile in the team? Maatsen hasn't been great but he's been played all over the place. I'd give him a few games at LB to see how he does and play Colwill in his preferred position.

Up front Broja needs a loan and we need a more experienced ST but that front four seems like the best option we have at the moment, based on current fitness reports.

Yeah I would to be honest.   I know he has had a below par couple of games since his error at Newcastle, but he played with a fever apparently and I think we need to play him back into form.  He’s our best centre back prospect for life after Silva IMO. 

I wouldn’t play Maatsen, largely because I don’t think he’s up to it, but particularly away to a team who will be physical, get amongst us etc.  Colwill all day long against that kind of opponent. 

4 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

On a side note - walked past what was the Chelsea Pensioner pub just by Stamford Bridge. Its now a gastro-pub 😞

Even on match days? Is there one half decent pub left in walking distance? Makes one want to move oop north.

6 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I do understand what you’re saying about Madueke, however, it was a brief appearance and we’ve seen other apprehended from him that have seen him make very little impact, so I’m not getting too excited about him yet.

I also think the way he plays, he may be better off the bench for us against tired defenders.

He will be ok against Luton, that is his level. 

• Disagree 1

🗣 Levi Colwill on the challenges he’s faced playing left-back: "Where you receive the ball. A lot of the time you receive the ball right on the line and there’s only a few passes. At centre-half where I’ve usually got the ball, you’re in control of the situation."

"You can break the lines, you can play forward, you can start attacks but as a full-back that’s a lot harder because you’ve got the winger, you can go back to the centre-half or the midfielder, that’s it really."

"Mauricio knows I’m a centre-back but he knows it’s going to help me. When I go back there, I’ll understand what the full-back wants of me a lot more & it’ll make a big difference when I’m older & if I ever need to play there, I will."

"At the end of the day, it’s got me in the England squad, I’ve made my England debut and that might not have happened if the gaffer didn’t put me there so I’m grateful."

• Like 1