Chelsea 6 Middlesbrough 1 (6 - 2 on aggregate)

JaneB

Matchday prediction  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Middlesbrough win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/01/24 at 19:00

20 minutes ago, Sabrina F. said:

We have a lot of project players, too many of them, but there are projects worth going through the teething times - it flashes with Palmer and Colwill immediately - and then there are daunting projects. Mudryk feels like a daunting project to me.

Yes we are now a project team.  Under RA we were only a project team in 12/13.  After that we brought in JM who is the clear opposite to a project manager (or rather for whom the only projects are titles).
And in 12/13 and JM's settling down year we both integrated a huge number of fantastic players (so good that Salah and KdB couldn't get in) and forced out an absolutely staggering number of amazing starts a year or two before their prime (Cole, Malouda, SFL, Cech, it really is an amazing list).  Rapid project.

24 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

A lot of those goals last night came from slavishly playing out from the back for no reason other than for an old fashioned club to look modern and trendy .

Except that yesterday Middlesborough sat so deep that Colwill and Silva were playing 15-20 yards into their half and still werent' pressed.  They didn't even push a man up onto the half way line for long clearances, they all retreated.

Slavishly playing out from 20 yards into their half.

12 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Teams played outside the prem:
2022/23 D Zagreb, Salzburg, AC Milan, Dortmund, Real Madrid and Man City (both cups)  All twice each

23/24  AFC Wimbledon, Brighton Blackburn Newcastle, Middlesborough x2, Preston NE
12 of the goals are against Championship (or Div 2) oppo.

It is a different world this season.

Ok. Ignore all cups.

38 PL games. 38 goals

21 PL games 35 goals.

+66% on a per game basis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Ok. Ignore all cups.

38 PL games. 38 goals

21 PL games 35 goals.

+66% on a per game basis.

Yes I was being a bit flip with the comment, but the comparison between 10 CL games and 2 vs City with Middlesbouroug and PNE was too easy to not make.

47 Goals Against and now  31,    19% increase per game

44 points   and now 31.                     27% increase per game.

Yes we are certainly doing a lot better than last season.  If the goal is 55-60 points we are doing fine.

I don't buy into the hype. Yes it was an emphatic result but it was against a Championship side that played naively, buoyed up  by their performance in the return fixture against us. They played poorly and we took advantage of that as we should. Tougher tests await us on Friday evening.

52 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I think people are just happy to see us win... which, is all we could have asked for last night and in fact, they won emphatically, which isn't something this current team have done much at all, if ever at all, so I think we can all be forgiven for being happy and celebrating the fact we've got to the final.

Biggest thing for me last night, was how clinical we were, I've seen this tea have similar changes to last night and not score them on many, many occasion, so that is definitely a positive. 

A big win can work wonders with the players confidence and lead to better performances going forward , the fans get more on board with it and it can feed one another .

As much as I'm a "Pochettino's head is half empty" guy , I'm happy we won and won well. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Fook me, I have missed all the fun travelling. Seems everything is rosy in the garden, as the  parapet brigade have raised the heads on mass.

Blighty beckons tomorrow, one hopes the betamax did it's job so I can watch the game 

Edited by ROTG

5 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

It can be really weird on here sometimes, can't it

Yeah - but is that not reason you and the other mods have created a wonderful website where people enjoy the craic without malice toward fellow posters. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

Yeah - but is that not reason you and the other mods have created a wonderful website where people enjoy the craic without malice toward fellow posters. 

Absolutely! It would be as dull as anything on here if we all just agreed.

I never said weird was a bad thing... 😀

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Test remains Villa and Liverpool.

Much too small a sample size to take anything significant from those games.

It'll be pleasing and encouraging if we see a good performance and get a result from either or both games and disappointing if we don't, but it shouldn't be more than that. After all, we had good performances against the better teams earlier in the sesson but that didn't stop lots of us  thinking  the future was all doom and gloom at the club.

Regardless of how the those two ganes go, i'm seeing enough postives  for me to be happy with the way things are going overall and the overall trend is what's important, not the next two ganes or anyother two ganes for that matter. 

• Like 2

Just now, boratsbrother said:

Much too small a sample size to take anything significant from those games.

That is what I said about my uni finals.  I want to be judged by my GCSEs  🙂

• Haha 1

Next day thoughts.....so Boro were what they were and Chelsea hammered them showing the difference in the Divisions.

One of those damned if you do,,,"easy" opponent or damned if you don't.."How come you lost?"...a Cup game is a one off...the result is IT..no holding on for a point or dragging out a slim lead for points..it's glory or nothing for the "lesser:" side...happens every year...the away game Chelsea didn't really show up in terms of the goals they should of scored giving Boro that faint chance of a breakaway goal...Chelsea turned up last night and scored fine goals although the irony of Broja messing up two chances that led to goals is not lost on most of us I'm sure.

Sorry..Broja just hasn't got what it takes for the very top..works hard but I don't see much room for improvement..wish I was wrong and if proven so would be pleased.

As mentioned earlier...a balanced back line with "proper" FBs would make such a difference regardless of who...Chilly/James/Gusto and even Cucu rather than Colwill or others trying to play out of position...Colwill looked a lot more comfortable and with more real options choices at the back maybe Silva can get some rest!

Palmer..the joker in the pack....I think he is showing in the EPL what Havertz was showing in Germany....the difference is a basically first season youngster playing regularly in a very tough League showing what he puts on most weeks,

For all I consider this Cup somewhat secondary in a bad spell for Chelsea we are in another Final...not too shabby for a club that has been through the wringer of late.

No deep analysis of the game..far better posters than me can do that...just an overall impression gained by myself,

A fitting score and result to say Farewell to Tommy Baldwin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Don’t know about anyone else but I’m hoping we get Fulham in the final. 

Well that's the understatement of the year so far.

It won't be Fulham of course but finals don't always go the way they should on paper so we must remain hopeful.

• Agree 2

First time in a long time since I saw a stress free game from us.  For once, Lady Luck well and truly smiled on us .  Hopefully some of the doom and gloom merchants who wrote off Cole Palmer are wiping the egg off their faces.  Chilwell made a big difference, and  so will Reece when he gets back.  Mydryk and Broja were diabolical, they need to buck their ideas up double quick, they won't get away with performances like that against Villa or Liverpool.  Credit to the hardy Boro fans who were singing their hearts out despite their team getting hammered.  And a final positive, the odious Andy Hinchcliffe wasn't in the commentary box to spout off his usual bullocks, although I would have loved to hear him in pain after his cup upset hopes went up in smoke.  Now to avenge the 2022 final, when we were robbed by having a perfectly good goal by Lukaku ruled out.

COME ON YOU BLUES!

• Like 1

Liverpool through inevitably, although maybe Fulham a bit unlucky over two legs, I rate Silva as a coach. Liverpool more than beatable in the final for me, just need to be our best version of ourselves and have belief, we can win it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I hate to be a debby downer but this means nothing to me unless we win the final. I am far from convinced we will keep up our run of form in the Premier League, nor beat Liverpool if they progress. Well done for reaching it lads - but this is a trophy I couldn't care less about winning and frankly I am not even sure how we ended up in the final.

Shades of Gareth Southgate with England where the whole draw opened up for us and we really couldn't fail to make it. My concern is frankly - the board will look at this as some incredible sign of progress when we scraped through against Newcastle and did just take two legs to beat a completely bang average, mid-table Championship team.

The way this season has gone - I would not be surprised to see us put in a complete nothing display in the final and lose 2-0 - it has been a season of our hopes continually being raised and then shattered, and then tearing our hair out wondering why.

Do you? You entirely disappeared for weeks once we picked up a few positive results and ironically Mudryk begun to contribute. Whether that's coincide or not, you've then returned sporadically since to have a moan about things like ownership, manager, the movie promotion stuff, transfer stuff, and then nit pick after addiitonal positive performances. 

Considering the season we've had, and even just the turmoil of the last two years, you'd think being in a final of any sort would be seen with far more optimism. I guess that's a little too much to ask for some. 

14 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Great performance last night, admittedly against very weak opposition, but I'm still going to enjoy it for what it was, a semi final win and 6 goals!

Chilwell made a huge difference, his understanding of the role and his positioning just highlights what we've been missing when Colwill has been playing there (not a dig at Colwill, he is not a LB) and Colwill likewise looked much more comfortable at CB.

Disasi did well and scored an excellent goal, whilst Cole Palmer just seems to get better and better, he is an absolute gem and an upgrade on anybody we let go in the summer IMO.

The downsides, unfortunately, were Mudryk and Broja. Mudryk just looks so incredibly raw and looks exactly what he is, a player with minimal experience at this kind of level... I hope the understanding of the game and decision making can be coached into him, but it's going to get harder the further along this rebuild goes as expectations will increase. As for Broja, well he just is not cut out for this level at all, if the interest from PL teams is genuine then I'm shocked as I just don't see a PL player there at all. Palmer massively showed him up after he went off and Palmer moved into his position.

On to the final we go, so so pleased we're going back to our second home again!

Re Chilwell. 

You could certainly see the impact he had in the attacking third, that being said a better team would've also exposed him defensively because of how aggressively he was getting upfield and sitting. This was toned down some as the game went on, but its something to be mindful of moving forward. If this sort of thing transpires against a better team it would've bit us in the ass and really exposed Thiago Silva's lack of pace, something Colwill did well with covering on a couple of occasions. 

Chilwill will need to be a bit smarter with timing when to go and when to stay moving forward. He isn't going to have the luxury he had when playing as an out and out wingback and sitting high and wide, it's going to be more about over or under lapping and supporting his winger - something he does tend to struggle with a little more. So it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

18 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I don't buy into the hype. Yes it was an emphatic result but it was against a Championship side that played naively, buoyed up  by their performance in the return fixture against us. They played poorly and we took advantage of that as we should. Tougher tests await us on Friday evening.

I do buy into the hype because the way we were playing during our bad runs earlier in the season, we wouldn't have won a game like this 6-1 (and same with the Preston game).

The direct comparisons are there against Wimbledon and Blackburn which were tighter games. 

8 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Do you? You entirely disappeared for weeks once we picked up a few positive results and ironically Mudryk begun to contribute. Whether that's coincide or not, you've then returned sporadically since to have a moan about things like ownership, manager, the movie promotion stuff, transfer stuff, and then nit pick after addiitonal positive performances. 

Considering the season we've had, and even just the turmoil of the last two years, you'd think being in a final of any sort would be seen with far more optimism. I guess that's a little too much to ask for some. 

This is very harsh, Celery. Actually I have been trying to use the forum less because the way I was before was not healthy - New Year's Resolution, you might say. Also you will find I have left many positive comments on performances - such as Luton and Palace, some optimistic comments around transfers such as Osimhen.

I am far from a doom and gloom merchant - actually I am very optimistic by heart, but I am just being honest that I couldn't care less if we beat Boro'. Frankly as mentioned, I never cared about the Carabao Cup anyway - I think we should get rid of it to save players matches, make the FA Cup more special, and find a way to give extra money to the lower divisions to compensate.

As I said, if we beat Liverpool I will be celebrating. I really cannot see us doing so however, and if we get beat by them there will be no part of me which will be fond of our "cup run" - if it's a good day out for our fans then I will be happy.

Reminds me a bit of when we beat Dortmund under Potter. The main thing for me is what we do in the league - and I am unconvinced we will be able to keep up our results achieved in a kind PL run against Everton, Sheff U, Wolves, Palace, Luton, and Fulham (where we still lost twice by the way) in our upcoming matches - Liverpool, Wolves, Palace (A), City, Spurs, Brentford (A), Newcastle and Arsenal.

We are going back into a defining run and I believe we will enter crisis mode again - but I will admit if I am wrong Celery, as I always have done on here with absolute commitment. I am not sure you have ever admitted you were wrong, or budged on your position, but that is up to you on how you want to use the forum. All the best to you, mate - I still appreciate your presence on here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

- Liverpool, Wolves, Palace (A), City, Spurs, Brentford (A), Newcastle and Arsenal.

We are going back into a defining run and I believe we will enter crisis mode again - 

Liverpool, City and Arsenal away are all games in which we'll be clear second favourites. We'll do well to cone away with one point from three away games against teams who are much better than us. 

Spurs are better than us but that's a 50/50  home game and I make us slight favs to best Newcastle. Brentford and Palace away are two more difficult games but ones which we are capable of picking up points.  Imho, A win and two draws from these four games would be an acceptable return. Two wins and a draw would be good with anything more being excellent.  

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Liverpool, City and Arsenal away are all games in which we'll be clear second favourites. We'll do well to cone away with one point from three away games against teams who are much better than us. 

Spurs are better than us but that's a 50/50  home game and I make us slight favs to best Newcastle. Brentford and Palace away are two more difficult games but ones which we are capable of picking up points.  Imho, A win and two draws from these four games would be an acceptable return. Two wins and a draw would be good with anything more being excellent.  

So lets do the maths, 7 points from the next 8 games would be good.
Taking us to 38 points from 28 games, on course for 52 points for the season.

If that is good, (personally I wouldn't expect better) I hope people realise why some have stubbornly refused to get excited recently.

The real question being whether we can finish like we did in the 2nd leg and the Luton game, or we go back to the way we finished earlier in the seaso or even as recently as the first leg 2 games earlier.