Chelsea 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 4

JaneB

Matchday prediction  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Wolves win

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Wolverhampton Wanderers at Stamford Bridge before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 14:00 hours on Sunday, 4th February 2024 (Local UK time/date)

7 minutes ago, blueboy1905 said:

Mid table must win (for the umpteenth time) six pointer. Can't wait.

Yes.  They are on a good run and have Man U at home tomorrow which could well continue the run.
Lose this we are 11th with Everton going faster and likely to over take us despite their 10 point deduction.
Big game

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

For Poch, this surely is a has to win, otherwise I can see fans turning, if they haven’t already. If we don’t see a reaction in this match then that will tell us everything we need to know about our head coach.

Nothing will happen before the Rumbelow's cup final

2 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Nothing will happen before the Rumbelow's cup final

You’re probably right, but, just imagine… Poch goes before the final, Jose comes in and his first game is that final and he wins, he ruins the Klopp party and breaks the Liverpool fans hearts. That would be so sweet!

Not going to happen, but it would be hilarious!

• Haha 2

Wolves are a dangerous side this year with O'Neill at the helm, unlike under Lopetegui and Eddie Large (whatever that coaches name was) .  Our record against them at the Bridge is good though, time to our our frustration from yesterday on them.....  I fancy us to win, but it will be tight.

I'm presuming it was tactical because he was awful, but have we heard anything from Poch about why Chilwell got taken off? Was he sick or injured? As bad as he was, I'd pick him again and put that down as a one-off. It would be nice to see us start with the back 4 all playing their actual positions, with 2 fullbacks and 2 centrebacks. Has this happened yet this season? I pray Nkunku is fit enough to start, but I'm guessing he isn't, but Jackson should be able to come back in. I'd go:

Petrovic

Gusto - Disasi - Silva - Chilwell

Enzo - Caicedo - Gallagher

Sterling - Jackson - Palmer

Bench: Argylle, Alien, Goodfellas, Gladiator, Titanic, Oppenheimer, Airplane, Fargo, Nkunku

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I'm presuming it was tactical because he was awful, but have we heard anything from Poch about why Chilwell got taken off?

He wasn't exactly have a good night, but against the inevitable low block, he'll be needed. Gusto at RB too please.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

They couldn't hold on against United last night, but watch them hang out against us on Sunday.

Not sure I want to see any of the Wolves players “hanging out” against us or anyone else for that matter! 😳🤮

Would be sure to put Petrovic off!  😂

*Edit* Might be a tactic Poch wants to look into 🤔

Edited by chrisb
  • Haha 1

Chilwell being rewarded with a start after a shambolic performance would be funny. 

Even funnier if we start a left hand side of Chilwell and Mudryk. Just a black hole of incompetence.

2 minutes ago, Bison said:

Chilwell being rewarded with a start after a shambolic performance would be funny. 

Even funnier if we start a left hand side of Chilwell and Mudryk. Just a black hole of incompetence.

Who would you play at left back? 

5 minutes ago, Bison said:

So would you rather Badiashile starts there? Or Gusto on his wrong side and Disasi at RB, meaning we have no natural attacking width either side from the full back positions.

Chilwell had a terrible night against Liverpool, but starting him against Wolves isn't a 'reward', it's giving ourselves the best chance to win.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bison said:

Wolves as home is an entirely different proposition to Liverpool away. And you know that. 

14 minutes ago, Ham said:

Who would you play at left back? 

I would do the unthinkable and give a left back from the academy a go. I know, radical! 😮

20 year old Dylan Williams has been with the squad recently. He is exactly the same age as the Liverpool player who destroyed Chilwell on Wednesday. 

13 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

So would you rather Badiashile starts there? Or Gusto on his wrong side and Disasi at RB, meaning we have no natural attacking width either side from the full back positions.

Chilwell had a terrible night against Liverpool, but starting him against Wolves isn't a 'reward', it's giving ourselves the best chance to win.

The worst thing about managers like Poch is they make fans believe we have no option but to go along with their nonsense. Dylan Williams is right there. We have academy players who can do a job right now but they will never be considered for whatever reason.

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Wolves as home is an entirely different proposition to Liverpool away. And you know that. 

Wolves are a decent Premier League team so I am fully expecting another rubbish performance from Chilwell, Mudryk and any other bad player we'll pick. This isn't Middlesbrough coming to the Bridge. 

14 minutes ago, Bison said:

I would do the unthinkable and give a left back from the academy a go. I know, radical! 😮

20 year old Dylan Williams has been with the squad recently. He is exactly the same age as the Liverpool player who destroyed Chilwell on Wednesday. 

The worst thing about managers like Poch is they make fans believe we have no option but to go along with their nonsense. Dylan Williams is right there. We have academy players who can do a job right now but they will never be considered for whatever reason.

Wolves are a decent Premier League team so I am fully expecting another rubbish performance from Chilwell, Mudryk and any other bad player we'll pick. This isn't Middlesbrough coming to the Bridge. 

So you would start a 20 year old who has 9 senior appearances, none of which have come in the PL, over our vice-captain who has over 228 senior appearances (all but 8 have been in the PL) and 19 England caps, because he had a bad performance in a match where nearly the entire team underperformed against the league leaders?

Out of interest, how much have you seen of Williams? What kind of full back is he?

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

So you would start a 20 year old who has 9 senior appearances, none of which have come in the PL, over our vice-captain who has over 228 senior appearances (all but 8 have been in the PL) and 19 England caps, because he had a bad performance in a match where nearly the entire team underperformed against the league leaders?

1000%.

The idea of Chilwell and the reality of Chilwell are two very different things. He plays like he did on Wednesday far more often than people are happy to admit.

Lewis Hall last season showed ability and technique far beyond anything I've ever seen from Chilwell.