Matchday prediction  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Newcastle win

Just now, ROTG said:

Better blaming TT who pushed or signed off on him and the subsequent fall out

You might want to withhold your emotions on Lukaku until July when he reappears at cobham.

He wont.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

It’s just easier to row yourself back from the early position you took on Jackson, rather than continue to use him as some sort of barometer for failure.

The only thing the club got wrong with Jackson was starting the season with him as our main N09. Problem is you were very vocal to knock  the signing, without seeing him play, based on Bournemouth wanting him . 
He’s done well taking into consideration a club of our standing, should not be using him as a main striker for virtually the whole season. This first year at the club is invaluable experience for him, which he will continue to improve on, given his age and lack of top level games he had before he arrived here.

He’s already proven to be a good signing, who will improve further, and who we would comfortably get our money back on now, should the club out him up for sale. Next season, he will be a dangerous and improving  option , competing with other strikers for playing time. 

The club that wanted him was a certain level and unfortunately with our club being at that same level presently, i really cannot get over excited on the hype because the player has 1 every 4 good games. That said its probably something which is acceptable at that level of club like Bournemouth.

Don't get me wrong he has done ok for his level and maybe a season of pl miles may improving, but i don't think he is the way forward if you are a team wanting CL football.

Would love to be wrong and eat humble pie

13 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Cucurella has a decent game to be fair to him, considering he’s been out for 3 months, but his mistake on the goal is something we’ve seen far too much from him. He lacks footballing intelligence and so often steps out when he shouldn’t and then doesn’t when he should.

I was just thinking before their 2nd goal how he had a pretty solid game........then he did that. Such a basic error. Keep him facing his own goal.

What happens when James gets back? 

You ease him back. I could even see James moving into a midfield role over time 

13 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Weird game. Both teams lacked confidence and were rubbish defensively.

Yes, two teams short of confidence and solidity. 

We should have won comfortably, and would have done but for two very good strikes by them, from two barely half chances

13 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Negatives.  Sterling was poor again. He really isn't doing enough to deserve anymore starts and imho should be sold for whatever we can get for him this season. 

Time for Mudryk or Madueke to start ahead of him for a run of games IMO

Considering Gallaghers missed most of this weeks training, his work rate is phenomenal. 

Did they say what he had? Bonus he was available.

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't want to start an argument here but Chalobah has been awful since he returned from injury

He's always been a bit clumsy. Playing RCB in a 3 is more comfortable for him. His passing and heading yesterday were both very wayward. 

3 hours ago, east lower said:

Which brings me onto the Newcastle goalkeeper, slow to react to the first goal and caught on his right-side momentarily for our second, he thought Palmer was going to shoot towards the far post. Ought to have got to the first and a better keeper might have got to the second, maybe. Good strike though, so maybe a bit harsh?

I didn't think he could do much for the first. Palmer's shot was probably sneaking wide before Jackson's flick. 

The second goal is poor goalkeeping. Leaves a massive gap at his near post, and it's not like the ball kisses the post on the way in. I'd be pretty unhappy if my GK was beaten like that, so easily

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

The club that wanted him was a certain level and unfortunately with our club being at that same level presently, i really cannot get over excited on the hype because the player has 1 every 4 good games. That said its probably something which is acceptable at that level of club like Bournemouth.

Don't get me wrong he has done ok for his level and maybe a season of pl miles may improving, but i don't think he is the way forward if you are a team wanting CL football.

Would love to be wrong and eat humble pie

There is no hype though. Nearly every opinion on here ref Jackson is pretty much the same. He has done well taking into account his first season in England and his relative lack of experience.

For where he is as a player right now, I agree he is not going to fire you to CL qualification. We as a club are not currently good enough for CL qualification either. He has loads of areas of his game he can improve on, but he is early 20's with less than 100 top level games. 

For what I see on here, people judge him accurately and I don't see anyone hyping him beyond what he is achieving. Maybe some over excitement based on what we seen in pre-season, but the reality of that being pre-season hit home pretty quickly, once the real thing started.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bison said:

Not really. A Chelsea goal is a Chelsea goal. Doesn't change my view of him in any way. 

Just as I thought. You've decided he's rubbish and that wont change, irrespective of what happens on the pitch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

Guess he will never learn. He had an opportunity to square it twice and failed on that one on one. Would like to see Mudryk given a few games instead of Sterling

Every time Mudryk has scored for Chelsea he has been dropped for the following game.  

Not how you build confidence. 

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, east lower said:

And wants to run and work as opposed to everyone else running for him! 

Personally, I’ve warmed to him and if he was coached and had someone to play with/off, he be a real nuisance to opponents.

Without his goals we’d be a whole heap worse off than we are.

He feels like a proper Chelsea player plucked from the good old days. Love how he goads opposition players and fans. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, chara said:

OK had to miss last 30 minutes...real life intruded,,Mrs C's eldest stepson taken to ER in Vegas with a stroke ...just waiting now but watched recorded last half hour. Perspective as ever.

Was a little surprised at how "average" and uninspired Newcastle were.

We know the Chelsea issues but Howe is a media  fave and with the new ownership and money money I expected a little more from them;;;or is it another injury ravaged tale?...Without that problem Chelsea have no excuses have they?

Oh and Raheem?....listen to the QPR siren song...please!

I hope your wife's stepson is OK Chara. As you say, perspective ! Fingers crossed for a full recovery.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I didn't think he could do much for the first. Palmer's shot was probably sneaking wide before Jackson's flick. 

The second goal is poor goalkeeping. Leaves a massive gap at his near post, and it's not like the ball kisses the post on the way in. I'd be pretty unhappy if my GK was beaten like that, so easily

I wasn’t a goalkeeper and perhaps someone like @chara could offer more expert insight, but if that keeper had taken two sideways steps/shuffles across to cover the shot, he starts his dive from the deflection from a better starting point?

Glad that he didn’t though, Pope (goalkeeper version) might have though?

Just now, east lower said:

I wasn’t a goalkeeper and perhaps someone like @chara could offer more expert insight, but if that keeper had taken two sideways steps/shuffles across to cover the shot, he starts his dive from the deflection from a better starting point?

I think he may get a hand to it:

pope.jpg

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, east lower said:

but then you run the risk the ball is diverted back across the goal, from where he came 

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

but then you run the risk the ball is diverted back across the goal, from where he came 

Split second decisions, where’s the danger. In this case, I think the only danger was Jackson or a defender getting a slight deflection bringing it goalwards. But as ever these are opinions.

If he were my keeper, he’d be getting some extra work.

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

he can do what he likes. he's the pope

Blessing in disguise 😇

And isn’t that what got a good few of them in the pickle they were in - time to move on.

Edited by east lower
  • Haha 1

On reflection, and whilst it was a bit squeaky at the end, some real positives;

* We're not completely capitulating when faced with adversity most games. We're getting wins instead of draws and draws instead of defeats.

* We're scoring goals where we weren't last season.

* The goals are being shared out.

* A better second half.  That's new.

* The players genuinely speak with real fondness about Poch, which at least shows some spine and loyalty.

* We could and should have won that 5 or 6-2 in the end.  Two easy chances for Raz to simply place shots into the corner missed. 

The main negative is that the defence seems to be low on confidence, particularly when playing out from the back.  Constant changes of line up brought about by injuries the main issue IMO.  TC was the worst culprit in possession last night perhaps because he was playing LCB but desperately trying to get the ball back on his right side, hence coming back across goal time and again. 

Also, Petrovic was pretty poor with his distribution last night, particularly in the first half. That breeds nervousness.

Anyway, worth celebrating the gains.  

• Agree 3

43 minutes ago, Ham said:

* We could and should have won that 5 or 6-2 in the end.  Two easy chances for Raz to simply place shots into the corner missed. 

I also think 9 times out of 10, the oppo don't score twice from those two "chances"

2 hours ago, east lower said:

Wasn't going to comment but with such faith from east lower at least here is my less than deep or expert analysis...

That clip by Jackson killed the keeper's chance...any keeper inmho..too close to goal ,,,,also think Palmer's goal was far better than maybe he is given credit for and from the keeper's pov came through the legs of defenders...again not the definitive analysis just as I saw it but Palmer has a way of telegraphing a shot/pass but doing something completely different my initial in real time view was he was going to try more of a curled attempt towards the far post but destroyed the Newcastle defence with something completely different...over simplified but imagine Sterling in the same position..if he tried a shot it would be similar to Palmer's feint. Just my thoughts.

And...as was stated earlier,,our keeper..well he ...kept!....great compliment quietly phrased.

Oh and to repeat my over indulgent pleased with myself Sterling comment..."Listen to the QPR siren song"🧚‍♂️

Many thanks for the kind words regarding the bad family news.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I also think 9 times out of 10, the oppo don't score twice from those two "chances"

Yep there is that too.  

I'll give them the first one because giving the ball away there left him bearing down on goal but the second wasn't even a chance.  No chance it affected XG. 

Therefore a realistic scoreline is 5-1 or 6-1.

1 hour ago, chara said:

Wasn't going to comment but with such faith from east lower at least here is my less than deep or expert analysis...

That clip by Jackson killed the keeper's chance...any keeper inmho..too close to goal ,,,,also think Palmer's goal was far better than maybe he is given credit for and from the keeper's pov came through the legs of defenders...again not the definitive analysis just as I saw it but Palmer has a way of telegraphing a shot/pass but doing something completely different my initial in real time view was he was going to try more of a curled attempt towards the far post but destroyed the Newcastle defence with something completely different...over simplified but imagine Sterling in the same position..if he tried a shot it would be similar to Palmer's feint. Just my thoughts.

And...as was stated earlier,,our keeper..well he ...kept!....great compliment quietly phrased.

Oh and to repeat my over indulgent pleased with myself Sterling comment..."Listen to the QPR siren song"🧚‍♂️

Many thanks for the kind words regarding the bad family news.

Yes sorry Chara.  I hope all is well with your relative.  Really sorry to hear that. 

• Thanks 1

Not for the first time we had our opponents on the ropes and instead of finishing them off we reached for the cigars. Everyone could see when we started to play as if we've won the match and were now warming down, everyone except Mauricio Pochettino.

• Haha 1