Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Newcastle win

5 minutes ago, ROTG said:

And people on here are sledging TC. Time for them to take a visit to spec savers 

Cucurella played well today. TC had an absolute shocker in the first half.

It's rude to even compare their performances. 

Gusto and Palmer both excellent.

• JaneB changed the title to Chelsea 3 Newcastle United 2

Cucurella has a decent game to be fair to him, considering he’s been out for 3 months, but his mistake on the goal is something we’ve seen far too much from him. He lacks footballing intelligence and so often steps out when he shouldn’t and then doesn’t when he should.

What happens when James gets back? I know he’s our captain and I know how good he can be once fit and firing, but Gusto has been one of our best performers this season and has got better and better as the season has gone on, I genuinely don’t think you can drop him. James into midfield?

1 minute ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

What happens when James gets back? I know he’s our captain and I know how good he can be once fit and firing, but Gusto has been one of our best performers this season and has got better and better as the season has gone on, I genuinely don’t think you can drop him. James into midfield?

Indeed. Gusto keeps his place for me. Just like Petrovic, taken his opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Gusto has looked useful at left back too. I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing him given a run of games there, if it meant we could integrate James at RB too 

• Like 1

Well, thankfully the lads didn't ruin my birthday!

Seriously though, I'd say overall that was a pretty good performance. Palmer and Gusto were excellent especially. 

Newcastle were crap and both their goals were unforgiveable. Almost the entire defence and Enzo were responsible for the first, and the second is on Cucurella.

I feel like we're getting a lot better going forward, but there are some real concerns in defence. We seem to just switch off at key moments when it's avoidable.

It was great to see Mudryk look so alive when he came on. A lot have said he seems to struggle, especially when coming into games from the bench. But today he was very good.

So, overall, I am generally content.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Seriously though, I'd say overall that was a pretty good performance. Palmer and Gusto were excellent especially. 

Newcastle were crap and both their goals were unforgiveable. Almost the entire defence and Enzo were responsible for the first, and the second is on Cucurella.

I feel like we're getting a lot better going forward, but there are some real concerns in defence. We seem to just switch off at key moments when it's avoidable.

It was great to see Mudryk look so alive when he came on. A lot have said he seems to struggle, especially when coming into games from the bench. But today he was very good.

He’s looked better playing more central to me. We struggle to use him well out wide, playing more central of the striker he looks more of a threat. I still wish he would run at players more, he is still too tentative like CHO was in his final period at Chelsea. 

• Agree 3

Weird game. Both teams lacked confidence and were rubbish defensively. Scraped through in the end. At least we didn’t fall apart second half. Some of our defending was amateurish at times. I guess it could’ve been worse given the personnel. Chalobah and Cucurella have hardly played this season and it showed. Not sure what Sterling’s excuse was. He missed a couple of decent chances. Gusto, Palmer, Jackson, Gallagher were our better performers. Mudryk had a decent cameo and scored the crucial third goal. 

Still eleventh but we’re looking up rather than behind us. 

• Agree 4

While not exactly lifting the roof off, I thought the crowd sounded appreciative of the efforts put in by the players tonight. Much better than I thought they'd be. Takes time with a new team, but some favs starting to emerge now which is good to see. 

Positives. Palmer. Jackson. Gallagher's workrate. Chalobah came back well after an awful first half. Gusto - so good now that even a fit James might struggle to start games. Mudryk took his goal well and worked hard.  

Negatives.  Sterling was poor again. He really isn't doing enough to deserve anymore starts and imho should be sold for whatever we can get for him this season. 

Enzo had another below average game. 

22 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Gusto has looked useful at left back too. I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing him given a run of games there, if it meant we could integrate James at RB too 

Possibly. It wouldn't be for too long though until James injures himself again 

34 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Happy birthday for today 💙

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Not our best performance, but in the moments we were good, we were very good. It’s the inconsistency that kills us though. Good win, nice to see Mudryk get a goal.

Palmer was fantastic tonight, but he usually is.

Gallagher worked his backside off as always.

Jackson did really well tonight, he isn’t the most conventional player, but he causes problems and works hard.

Gusto gets better with every game.

Mudryk did well when he came on.

Sterling is a nightmare, sell him.

Caicedo and Enzo still not convincing.

Agree with almost every word of this, but thought Caicedo was brilliant tonight.  He gets through so much dirty work. 

Enzo looks gassed to me…I’d seriously think about moving Gallagher back to play 6 against Leicester and start Mudryk in the 10

• Like 2

OK had to miss last 30 minutes...real life intruded,,Mrs C's eldest stepson taken to ER in Vegas with a stroke ...just waiting now but watched recorded last half hour. Perspective as ever.

Was a little surprised at how "average" and uninspired Newcastle were.

We know the Chelsea issues but Howe is a media  fave and with the new ownership and money money I expected a little more from them;;;or is it another injury ravaged tale?...Without that problem Chelsea have no excuses have they?

Oh and Raheem?....listen to the QPR siren song...please!

Edited by chara
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

29 minutes ago, chara said:

OK had to miss last 30 minutes...real life intruded,,Mrs C's eldest stepson taken to ER in Vegas with a stroke ...just waiting now but watched recorded last half hour. Perspective as ever.

Was a little surprised at how "average" and uninspired Newcastle were.

We know the Chelsea issues but Howe is a media  fave and with the new ownership and money money I expected a little more from them;;;or is it another injury ravaged tale?...Without that problem Chelsea have no excuses have they?

Oh and Raheem?....listen to the QPR siren song...please!

Sorry to hear that Chara, hope he’s going to be ok 🤞🏻

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

For me Reece James has to earn his position once he returns. It's not as if his form pre injury was good either, so it's on him to reclaim a place in the side whether he's captain or not. Of course, we could go down the path of Gusto at LB and James at RB but then we'd be in the position of overworking both right back options. 

Also it's probably in our best interests to ease James back for as long as we can, so a role off the bench as an impact player might be more beneficial.

• Agree 3

Important win. 

Performance was good in patches, less so in others. As usual, shot ourselves in the foot on both goals and that's been a big factor this season making our lives a lot tougher. At the other end we Jackson's goal was clever, Palmer classy, and Mudryk's exciting. 

The midfield looks leggy however, as you'd kinda expect with so little rotation through it and someone like Enzo having played consistently for the best part of the last 18 months. Chalobah unsurprisingly isn't the solution moving forward, Cucurella was relatively decent considering it was his first appearance in like 3 months - granted some of the usual problems he creates through being too aggressive. 

Gusto was excellent and Jackson solid also. 

That's one more ticked off, onto the next. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Not our best performance, but in the moments we were good, we were very good. It’s the inconsistency that kills us though. Good win, nice to see Mudryk get a goal.

Palmer was fantastic tonight, but he usually is.

Gallagher worked his backside off as always.

Jackson did really well tonight, he isn’t the most conventional player, but he causes problems and works hard.

Gusto gets better with every game.

Mudryk did well when he came on.

Sterling is a nightmare, sell him.

Caicedo and Enzo still not convincing.

Agree with your comments except for Caicedo. 

I've been critical of him this season but tonight he gave his all showing a lot of energy and enthusiasm.

Enzo on the other hand looked mentally and physically shattered. Not surprising really when you consider the number of minutes he's played this season, made worse by him not being a great athlete.

Lets be fair here! With the injuries, Poch has had very few options in midfield this season so had little choice but to overplay Enzo. Same with defence where he's constantly had to chop and change all season long. Remember that Liverpool fell apart in a season when they had the kind of injuries we've had this season.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Thought we’d win this one, we seem to have their number and they’re not very good anyway, Howe might be gone end of the season. Still, solid performance and some good finishing on show, defensive woes as usual but to be expected. Palmer back to his best today, influential display, we’ve been lucky that he at least hasn’t picked up injuries as of yet. 

Edited by Floyd25

3 hours ago, Bison said:

Amazing work from Jackson for the third. Brilliant player. 

Must have been a difficult watch for you. 

Just trying to figure out how Chilwell gets the blame for their goals. 

• Like 2