West Ham United 3 Chelsea 1

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against West Ham United at the London Stadium before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 16:30 hours on Sunday, 20th August 2023 (Local UK time/date) (Live on Sky Sports)

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

Caicedo and Enzo in the middle for this one? (or too soon for Caicedo)

I would expect he will play. I get he has not had a pre-season involving many games, but the lad is as fit as they come in the PL. These are exactly the type of games where we need his running power and steel in midfield.

Sanchez

James      Silva  Colwill    Chilwell

Enzo Caicedo

Sterling  Chukwuemka Mudryk

Jackson

27 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I would expect he will play. I get he has not had a pre-season involving many games, but the lad is as fit as they come in the PL. These are exactly the type of games where we need his running power and steel in midfield.

Sanchez

James      Silva  Colwill    Chilwell

Enzo Caicedo

Sterling  Chukwuemka Mudryk

Jackson

Drop Chukwuemeka for Gallagher and that'll do me nicely.

• Agree 3

On 15/08/2023 at 21:47, Ham said:

Possibly replacing Gallagher with Lavia if he's fit and trains well..... 

Screenshot_20230815_214421_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2291fae22e0c629f190eeab677779990.jpg

I’d go for the same, I think Gallagher should start regardless, he had a good second half and deserves another go in the CM role, especially alongside Caicedo.

I really want to see Enzo in that advanced position, we saw glimpses of it vs Liverpool and although he may end up with less of the ball he’ll be able to create many more chances from there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Stating the obvious here, but until we starting creating more clear cut chances and score more goals, much like last season,  every game will be a dificult one for us. I see this being another draw, probably the same score as last week too.

Funny because I see us hammering them.  Excuse the pun. 

6 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Sincerely hope so!  But who's going to create all the chances and who's going to put them away ?

We're well set up to score goals as long as Jackson stays fit. 

Plenty of creativity in our match day squad.  

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

Sincerely hope so!  But who's going to create all the chances and who's going to put them away ?

I think the plan is to return to a back 4, now that the DM has been sorted. That means you are playing with an extra forward player (versus last week)

Enzo will be pulling the strings.......just need to work on that finishing!

Too soon for Caicedo (also apparently having a slight hamstring issue?) to start I reckon and Lavia will perhaps not even be on the bench for this one. But as we have so many injuries perhaps he will. 

I’d have played a 433 like so;

Sanchez

Gusto - Disasi - Silva - Chilwell

Enzo - Gallagher

Chukwuemeka

Sterling - Jackson - Mudryk

Subs: Bergström, Colwill, Cucurella, Santos, Lavia, Ugochukwu, Maatsen, Madueke, Burstow

As it stands, we don’t even have 9 subs in the first team! 

Wont be involved: Lukaku, Sarr, Ziyech, Hudson-Odoi, Hall

Injured: Broja, Badiashile, Nkunku, Bettinelli, Caicedo, Chalobah, Fofana

Looking at this, we are well stocked at CB and CM but one player short for the wing and striker positions IMO. 

I'd like to see:

Sanchez;

Gusto, Disasi, Silva, Chilly;

Caicedo;

Gallagher, Enzo;

Madueke, Jackson, Mudryk;

Time to ditch the double pivot, no need for it when someone like Caicedo is the DM; Gallagher and Enzo have just as strong engines as Caicedo so they can go box to box without any trouble. It would also mean there's no need to over commit the fullbacks and they can time when to join an attack as an element of surprise, and also the CBs don't need to keep coming across into areas they shouldn't be needing to go into. A system like Jose played when we had Maka, Essien and Lamps; Caicedo/Lavia do the Maka role, Gallagher/Caicedo do the Essien role, Enzo/Chukwuemeka do the  Lamps role. This allows 3 proper attackers who enjoy running at a defence to play, and take risks on the ball with enough cover/support/creativity behind them.

Edited by Gurj SS