Chelsea 1 Newcastle United 1 (Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties)

JaneB

Grind.Out.Wins... We went direct and forced an error, let us please continue with just releasing that ball into the box and just trying to get something on it. I'm happy for the win so don't want to be negative, but let's just get some simple and direct football wins; then tackle the whole system thing another time.

Ah I get it, if I can’t watch when I’m stuck at work, we win the game, must be a bad luck charm. In all seriousness, happy for our fans that we’ve had something to cheer about after that shootout, think we’ve deserved it, brilliant save from Petrovic at the end, glad I managed to catch the equaliser and the shootout. 

• Like 1

Shay Given: "Look at the benches. The injuries.  Newcastle had two goalkeepers on the bench".  HELLO!

Jamie Redknapp: "Howe will be in the dressing room wondering how they didn't win that game". 😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Ham said:

Shay Given: "Look at the benches. The injuries.  Newcastle had two goalkeepers on the bench".  HELLO!

Jamie Redknapp: "Howe will be in the dressing room wondering how they didn't win that game". 😂😂😂😂😂

Tossers. 

They keep saying how few saves Dubravka made. Petrovic had none. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Great result.  LC semis will be a pick up for the team.  Good that we came from behind.  Good that we scored against a packed defence.  Good that Mudryk got a goal - and with an excellently finish too.

Rubbish performance overall though against a team that created nothing (unless you count Bada and Trippier creating for the oppo).
I'd be embarrassed if I were  a Newcastle fan - and when it comes to Cowardly managers - What the hell was Howe doing playing a 10 man defence just as soon as they took the lead.  One of the key parts of playing defence is keeping the counter-attack alive in order to punish the oppoenents when they start to take liberties.  Howe didn't do that.

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

I don't buy the "lottery" argument 

It's about nerve. Our penalties were unsaveable. No lottery 

Me neither.  The penalties were clearly very very well practiced.
Now if only a coach could get the team to practice corners, because we get a lot more of them in a PL game.

5 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Enzo looked very upset at the end. The commentator said he felt unwell and that’s why he went off, but his reaction at the end makes me think it’s something more serious.

My concern too.  

4 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

We deserved to get something out of that on the basis of our second half commitment. Gusto and Maatsen as proper full backs made a difference right at the end. Palmer, Gallagher and Caicedo were excellent, we  just kept plugging away, got balls into the box, and we got our reward. 

Not sure we deserved anything, Newcastle deserved to lose since they made zero effort to even counterattack.
Absolutely proper full backs made all the difference.  That should have been obvious from the start and Maatsen at lease started with Gusto as soon as time left = fitness level.  

Just now, paulw66 said:

Thought Gusto was very good 

I thought he was a pretty average FB today - in other words everything Disasi wasn't.

44 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

What’s the atmosphere now in the Toon, @Proud-Blue?

Well right now it's a mix of frustration and "Chelsea should have been down to 9 men" and during the game it was frustration about injuries and nerves. 

I explained to them that they would have to do something spectacularly stupid to concede...

AND THEY DID!! 

Screamed when Petrovic made that save. 

Lovely bloke, so happy for him and for us. 

Let's go all the way now! KTBFFH

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

Maatsen and Gusto as fullbacks is something we need to start with, to be fair Maatsen needs to start at left back and not be a last gasp decision, he looks far more natural there than Colwill does; Colwill needs to be challenging Badi and Silva for places.

Agree. Even though Colwill was pretty good tonight too.

2 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

One big worry for me was the amount of empty seats. EMBARRASSING!  and the reason why we should not be thinking about building a 60,000 stadium. 

That was the Newcastle end. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

One big worry for me was the amount of empty seats. EMBARRASSING!  and the reason why we should not be thinking about building a 60,000 stadium. 

It was the Newcastle end. Midweek game when when many of them have spent a lot of money travelling across Europe. And sometimes it's tight to get the last trains and coaches home at that time. If there's an away game you're gonna miss, it'd be this one. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Ah I get it, if I can’t watch when I’m stuck at work, we win the game, must be a bad luck charm. In all seriousness, happy for our fans that we’ve had something to cheer about after that shootout, think we’ve deserved it, brilliant save from Petrovic at the end, glad I managed to catch the equaliser and the shootout. 

I have a good feeling about Petrovic!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ham said:

You make this somehow sound like you're not happy. 

What were the odds?

what should I be doing dancing up and down the street because we drew with Newcastle and made the semi final of the carabao cup. 

Unless I missed something, as you seem to be overly excited about the result.  

6 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Well right now it's a mix of frustration and "Chelsea should have been down to 9 men" and during the game it was frustration about injuries and nerves. 

I explained to them that they would have to do something spectacularly stupid to concede...

AND THEY DID!! 

Screamed when Petrovic made that save. 

Lovely bloke, so happy for him and for us. 

Let's go all the way now! KTBFFH

Hmmm! I thought Guimares should have been sent off at the end, shocking kicking out on Maatsen.

Never disliked Geordies, but happy to win tonight. Have fun out there!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ROTG said:

what should I be doing dancing up and down the street because we drew with Newcastle and made the semi final of the carabao cup. 

Yes, dancing up and down the street naked, why not? We’ve not had much to cheer about as of late. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1