Chelsea 1 Newcastle United 1 (Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties)

JaneB

4 minutes ago, ROTG said:

what should I be doing dancing up and down the street because we drew with Newcastle and made the semi final of the carabao cup. 

Unless I missed something, as you seem to be overly excited about the result.  

Is this Roy Keane moonlighting as a Chelsea fan?

12 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

.  Good that Mudryk got a goal - and with an excellently finish too.

At this moment in time his best bits of play seem to be when he doesn't have much time to think about it. Hopefully he'll start showing he has a good football brain once he gets more top level experience under his belt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bones said:

Yes, he just seems to calm. I dont want to jinx it, but Cech like!! 😂

Ok...I stated before the game I wanted to see how our keeper did against a half decent side...not to take anything away from him as he has a good vibe for me but still waiting for that half decent side!

Seems to have the calmness aura which counts for so much,,,something Kepa, Mendy and Sanchez lack. imho.

Great penalty save,,it was a save not a stop..if you see the difference,,

Clutching at straws I was thinking a new star perhaps..Peter Bonetti..Petr Cech...Petrovic,,,then I remembered Borota!

A deserved result if stressful..as usual!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Yes, dancing up and down the street naked, why not? We’ve not had much to cheer about as of late. 

Maybe something else if we beat Wolves as the neighbours would not be overly amused seeing an OG like me naked. 😳

27 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

At this moment in time his best bits of play seem to be when he doesn't have much time to think about it. Hopefully he'll start showing he has a good football brain once he gets more top level experience under his belt.

I will give him another chance. Having a real left back behind him might make all the difference. He should gain confidence from this.

If Poch doesn't learn that 4 centre backs is wrong then he has a problem 

• Like 1

Enjoying the feeling of a win and calmer now,,,how "unlucky" Trippier was to fluff the control of the ball with some space and room for recovery,,think wellie maybe ...only to have the fastest player on the Chelsea side behind him...would any other player been fast enough?..just a thought.......

44 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Who said I was not happy. 
Fook me mate get a life and don’t be a clown, it’s was the quarter final of the Carabao cup. 

40 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Better than being a hand job like you. 

Please grow up.  We've actually won a football match on penalties (for a change) and still there's discord on here. 

It doesn't matter that it's the quarter final of the Carabao Cup.  We have the chance of winning something.  Everyone pretends they don't care about this competition but when they win it, it's a different story.

Well done the lads tonight, especially pleased for Mudryk.

• Like 3

Colwill being injured and the coach having to bring a full-back on made us look better balanced and offered a bit more width, but we looked a bit one-sided with it.

Showed the folly of not starting with at least one recognised full-back. 

TBF I thought we looked the better side throughout and but for the multi-faceted  f**k-ups that caused their goal I thought they were poor. 

Gallagher was great, Silva good again, keeper looked efficient and the penalty save was good. Takes a chance with some of his passes out from goal to a player with an opponent right on top of him and it will cost us one day, but a good few get caught doing this - modern day matter. 

Dopey fan ran on and confronted the Newcastle keeper after our equaliser, we’ll get in trouble for that. Bumped his chest, but damn stupid.

But we badly need someone to lead the line up top.

Oh, and Guimaraes is a hateful b*****d, thought he was before the game and the events in the game have left no doubt in my mind.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, east lower said:

Colwill being injured and the coach having to bring a full-back on made us look better balanced and offered a bit more width, but we looked a bit one-sided with it.

Showed the folly of not starting with at least one recognised full-back. 

TBF I thought we looked the better side throughout and but for the multi-faceted  f**k-ups that caused their goal I thought they were poor. 

Gallagher was great, Silva good again, keeper looked efficient and the penalty save was good. Takes a chance with some of his passes out from goal to a player with an opponent right on top of him and it will cost us one day, but a good few get caught doing this - modern day matter. 

Dopey fan ran on and confronted the Newcastle keeper after our equaliser, we’ll get in trouble for that. Bumped his chest, but damn stupid.

But we badly need someone to lead the line up top.

Oh, and Guimaraes is a hateful b*****d, thought he was before the game and the events in the game have left no doubt in my mind.

Guimaraes should've been sent off for that challenge at the end

• Agree 4

I thought we would get to the semis though think that will be it so expecting us to go to Anfield as we should beat the rest.

Nice to see Mudryk make a difference and keep us in it. 

Good to see the second keeper make a save too. 

I also like Poch bringing on Broja early for Enzo when he thought it was not working,

Can't comment on the game itself as it's been virtually impossible to find online to watch, so had to settle for the highlights which don't give you much insight. 

Good to get a win, even better when it's a last minute equaliser that sets it up. Also encouraging to see us look composed during the penalty shootout. All our kicks looked well taken, and Petrovic coming up with a big boy save to clinch it was a nice addition.

The goal we conceded though was dense, not for the first time this season stupid defensive mistakes have bitten us in the ass. First Colwill's pass not getting to Caicedo, then Thiago Silva and specifically Badiashile making a complete meal of it at the end after doing well to get across and cover. 

Also sounds like both Enzo and Badiashile were unwell going into the game, with Enzo possibly also said to be carrying the beginnings of pubalgia (sports hernia in the groin area), which could explain why he's looked off over the last month or so. 

PS: Anyone seen @Max Fowler to make sure he's doing okay after having to witness Mudryk score? 😄

• Like 1

Freed from desire, mind and senses purified
Freed from desire

Na-na-na-na-na, na-na, na-na-na, na-na-na

• Love 1

Let’s hope that this result can really be a catalyst for some momentum and togetherness from the squad. The stadium really felt like it was rocking at the end last night, the players have not really felt that too much here over the last few months, maybe with exception of the 4-4 with Man City. These little things can help new players feel more part of the club.

As for the match, it almost ended up like a 10 v 11 training excercise . We were completely dominant, whilst Newcastle looked out on their legs and were trying to produce a smash and grab 0-1 win. 
Shoutout to Gusto, I thought he did well when we he came on and provided some much needed running power from defence . Caicedo and Gallagher were also very good on the night. Disasi also played well for his 70mins, but struggles to impact the game from an offensively from the RB position. Hopefully, we don’t have more injuries picked up for the foreseeable future though !

• Like 4