Chelsea 1 Newcastle United 1 (Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties)

JaneB

12 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Three potential trophies if you want to be specific, and imo much more optimistic than our performances and form warrants. I think it's really clear from my post I don't think a trophy is very likely. 

Three potential trophies? Not really. We can all agree the league is gone.

Whatever way you cut the cake, we are in the last 4 of this one, and there are at least two teams who are worse than us

13/8 to win the cup. Guess is depends what you call "likely"

Edited by paulw66

I reckon they will go for Liverpool vs Boro and us vs Everton. That way, they will assume a win for the "world's greatest team"™ and a high-profile game for the final, irrespective of who wins the match. I am, of course, assuming the draw is a fiddle. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I reckon they will go for Liverpool vs Boro and us vs Everton. That way, they will assume a win for the "world's greatest team"™ and a high-profile game for the final, irrespective of who wins the match. I am, of course, assuming the draw is a fiddle. 

Everton got knocked out. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Three potential trophies? Not really. We can all agree the league is gone.

Whatever way you cut the cake, we are in the last 4 of this one, and there are at least two teams who are worse than us

13/8 to win the cup. Guess is depends what you call "likely"

What odds would you have got on us losing at home to Forest? To Brentford? Failing to beat Arsenal at 2-0 up and just over 10 minutes to go? There are other examples, but I will stop there. Always seems to me that many people forget, as it suits them, the other big thing bookmakers factor in when calculating odds. It isn't just the probability of something happening, they'd all be well put of business by now.

Of course the league is gone. But it isn't, technically, is it? That's the entire point, we could "potentially" win it. Saying we could "potentially" win something is hot air. 

I don't look at us this season and think we're all that likely to string three results together in any competition, against anyone. I think that's a pretty easily defended position and it doesn't mean I think it's impossible. Other people will have a different opinion and that is fine.

And to go back to what I was actually responding to, my entire point is that should we continue as we have started, then losing three times to Liverpool is hardly any more of a disaster than any of the other defeats we'd suffer. You could argue with that if you fancied.

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

What odds would you have got on us losing at home to Forest? To Brentford? Failing to beat Arsenal at 2-0 up and just over 10 minutes to go? There are other examples, but I will stop there. Always seems to me that many people forget, as it suits them, the other big thing bookmakers factor in when calculating odds. It isn't just the probability of something happening, they'd all be well put of business by now.

sure, but either way, we are potentially 2 good games away from a trophy, which we aren't in the FA cup of PL

Of course the league is gone. But it isn't, technically, is it? 

It is. We can get 85 points from here. That wont be enough. 

I don't look at us this season and think we're all that likely to string three results together in any competition, against anyone.

Again, it comes back to what is "likely". There are 5 teams left. After tonight, 4, and we are definitely better than 2 of those IMO

8 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

And to go back to what I was actually responding to, my entire point is that should we continue as we have started, then losing three times to Liverpool is hardly any more of a disaster than any of the other defeats we'd suffer.

I will argue that. I don't agree. 

We aren't winning the league, so 3 defeats in the league from here are not going to change much. 

We might win the LC, and we only need a couple of decent results to do so.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

How so? In that I can't see how this season, or at least the way it seems likely to end given the trajectory it is on, isn't already a disaster. We've plenty more losses to come whatever happens.

Oh I think we have shown in a few games that when the luck goes with us we can make an effort and keep our chins up against the weaker teams.  Lose 10-0 to Liverpool over 3 games, and even that goes.  Till now the boys have consistently made an effort even when not playing well.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

No Badiashile error..........and? 

Fair point, but no Badiashile error and I don't see Newcastle reverting to their own box for the rest of the game.  In which it would be very difficult to apply the blunt molar grinding pressure we did, and that would make it even less likely we could force a mistake out of Trippier and much more likely that they would have had some chances after the first 16 mins.

5 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Fair point, but no Badiashile error and I don't see Newcastle reverting to their own box for the rest of the game.

we'll never know how much was choice versus being pegged back.

If they chose to be that defensive, it was very high risk, and so it proved. I expect, in all honesty, they would have liked to have got further up the pitch in that second half than they managed. 

41 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I will argue that. I don't agree. 

We aren't winning the league, so 3 defeats in the league from here are not going to change much.

I think you probably need to jump to disagreeing less quickly, given my exact point is that 3 defeats is not, in your own words, "going to change very much".

The other stuff is differing opinions. I'd agree we're better than 2, maybe even 3 come 10pm, teams left. We just have no issue losing to teams we're better than. You've said as much yourself in this thread in the last few replies.

11 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

we'll never know how much was choice versus being pegged back.

Come on - nobody ever gets pegged back that far - even against City in their pomp.
Not so much high risk (against us) but it was cowardice.  Even Wilson dropped into midfield.

I think that is what disappoints me the most about our performance, that Newcastle feared us so little.

32 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Come on - nobody ever gets pegged back that far - even against City in their pomp.
Not so much high risk (against us) but it was cowardice.  Even Wilson dropped into midfield.

I think that is what disappoints me the most about our performance, that Newcastle feared us so little.

I refuse to believe that was entirely by design. They couldn't have planned to have been gifted such a goal then sit on it. 

I think their squad it's on its knees a bit and they were unable to turn the tide. No attacking options on the bench and a knackered forward line. 

It was cowardice and high risk, and if it had been the other way around, I'd have been very pissed off. 

Watching the build up to Liverpool vs West Ham and the Sky pundits are again pushing the narrative that we didn't really deserve to progress last night because we didn't create any real chances and scored from an error.

No mention that Newcastle scored from an error and then sat back for 70 minutes, creating nothing for the rest of the game. Bizarre. 

• Angry 1

4 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Poch said that Colwill was taken off as a tactical move. I may be wrong, but I think it was also because of the challenge on Krafth at the end of the first half when Colwill left some studs in. I think it should have been a booking, but I don't think the referee saw it. 

What’s the odds either colwill or Caicedo being shown a red in the next few PL matches?

unfortunately their cards are marked.  

11 minutes ago, Bison said:

Watching the build up to Liverpool vs West Ham and the Sky pundits are again pushing the narrative that we didn't really deserve to progress last night because we didn't create any real chances and scored from an error.

No mention that Newcastle scored from an error and then sat back for 70 minutes, creating nothing for the rest of the game. Bizarre. 

Neither of us deserved to progress.  That much was painfully obvious.

1 minute ago, Dwmh said:

Neither of us deserved to progress.  That much was painfully obvious.

Yeah, two rubbish teams on the night but just find it strange how Newcastle are getting away without any criticism. They haven't spent a billion tbf so maybe it's that. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Bison said:

If you take away the errors

3 shots on target form 70% possession Vs 1 shot on target from 30% possession highlights how bland the match was. 

Maybe the draw after 90 minutes was the right result. 

However perfect penalties and a win.  Thought using Petrovic to relay the message of  where the Chelsea player should fire the  ball into the onion bag was genius by Poch. 

Edited by ROTG

34 minutes ago, Bison said:

I'd say it's amazing only I've been pointing it out for absolutely years, SKY, BT, BBC, PGMOL and most journalists absolutely hate that we were ever successful, hated it as we were being successful and are refereeing our games so that it's harder to be successful again. 

For money. 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

I suggest you maybe watch the game again. 

Please God no - whatever I said I confess it was wrong, but don't make me watch that match again.
Last 5 mins and pens sure.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'd say it's amazing only I've been pointing it out for absolutely years, SKY, BT, BBC, PGMOL and most journalists absolutely hate that we were ever successful, hated it as we were being successful and are refereeing our games so that it's harder to be successful again. 

For money. 

More true in the past than recently - and they have generally been quite happy to see us win in Europe, particularly when it was against Germans.

To some extent it is just annoyance with extended winning (lets face it we all hated Liverpool in the 70s & 80s).

I've think there has recently been some turning against City  - anyone else noticed that?