Chelsea 1 Newcastle United 1 (Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties)

JaneB

8 hours ago, JaneB said:

Please grow up.  We've actually won a football match on penalties (for a change) and still there's discord on here. 

It doesn't matter that it's the quarter final of the Carabao Cup.  We have the chance of winning something.  Everyone pretends they don't care about this competition but when they win it, it's a different story.

Well done the lads tonight, especially pleased for Mudryk.

7 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Mate, if you keep on like this, you're going to be out of here. For goodness sake, grow up.

Mods - I may not be you cup of tea on this forum, however when issuing warnings or threats in MT case I suggest you read the full story line to see who was the provocateur. Or is it the case of see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil for some of the preferred member on this forum.

Edited by ROTG

Never heard hand job used as an insult before, might add it to the repertoire. 

Another who couldn't watch the whole thing (streams dried up in the second half and couldn't make the game), but highlights and stats suggest we weren't bad, at least by what the current standards are. Too often fans herald turning points that can only be seen with hindsight, but a dramatic quarter final win where an ex Spurs player gifts your struggling mega signing a goal is always worth celebrating just for what it is in itself.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SideshowLuiz said:

That is a horrendous challenge.

Guimarães is a thug, if he was playing back in the day he would’ve been thumped by now, Newcastle are quickly turning in to a team that everyone hates, fair play to Howe because he’s made them the dirtiest team I’ve seen in a while. 

Thought we looked much better balanced with Maatsen and Gusto on the pitch. Gusto especially managed some decent balls into the box, something we’re not going to get with Disasi. Not sure Colwill has adapted to left back particularly well but the manager seems to have decided that he doesn’t want Maatsen regardless. He’s been pretty stubborn about it, so even though Chilwell and Cucurella are out long term, Maatsen still finds Colwill ahead of him. Poch even brought on Gusto to play left back when he took off Colwill at half-time. Wonder how that made Maatsen feel. 

1 hour ago, Original 21 said:

Thought we looked much better balanced with Maatsen and Gusto on the pitch. Gusto especially managed some decent balls into the box, something we’re not going to get with Disasi. Not sure Colwill has adapted to left back particularly well but the manager seems to have decided that he doesn’t want Maatsen regardless. He’s been pretty stubborn about it, so even though Chilwell and Cucurella are out long term, Maatsen still finds Colwill ahead of him. Poch even brought on Gusto to play left back when he took off Colwill at half-time. Wonder how that made Maatsen feel. 

Reminds me of Mourinho playing Azpilicueta at left back.

1 hour ago, Original 21 said:

Agreed entirely. Gusto gives us that attacking edge that we are missing with Chilly and Reece injured. Even Cucurella was performing admirably before his injury. If we had all 4 of these boys fit at the same time, we would be in a very different place.

Poch said that Colwill was taken off as a tactical move. I may be wrong, but I think it was also because of the challenge on Krafth at the end of the first half when Colwill left some studs in. I think it should have been a booking, but I don't think the referee saw it. 

1 minute ago, Sciatika said:

Poch said that Colwill was taken off as a tactical move. I may be wrong, but I think it was also because of the challenge on Krafth at the end of the first half when Colwill left some studs in. I think it should have been a booking, but I don't think the referee saw it. 

It made me wonder whether or not the Caicedo and Colwill challenges were done knowing there wasn't any VAR.

9 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

It made me wonder whether or not the Caicedo and Colwill challenges were done knowing there wasn't any VAR.

2 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

That was a point made by the Sky commentators during the game.

Whatever it was it's nothing less than Newcastle deserved , the most hateful bunch of cheats in the league 

Still enjoying the after glow...different games have different "emotional" reactions for a variety of reasons!

Agree with the FB rearrangement and how (!) it worked but a word of caution...no real pressure from Newcastle so whilst the two lads did well remember that!

Off to do my panic shopping...will return to the Forum later with great interest as the dust settles!

No Trippier error and that was a complete disaster on all counts.

2 games against Middlesborough is the kind of matches we need.
3 Wednesday games against Liverpool over 3 weeks could destroy the season.  Especially if we lose the first one badly.

14 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

No Trippier error and that was a complete disaster on all counts.

2 games against Middlesborough is the kind of matches we need.
3 Wednesday games against Liverpool over 3 weeks could destroy the season.  Especially if we lose the first one badly.

How so? In that I can't see how this season, or at least the way it seems likely to end given the trajectory it is on, isn't already a disaster. We've plenty more losses to come whatever happens.

1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

How so? In that I can't see how this season, or at least the way it seems likely to end given the trajectory it is on, isn't already a disaster. We've plenty more losses to come whatever happens.

disaster with a potential trophy at the end of it. 

18 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Result against Liverpool was..........a draw. much like City and Arsenal 

Our biggest issue has been against the low block. 

• Like 1