JaneB

Matchday prediction  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Liverpool win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/01/24 at 19:15

28 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Anyone not think Klopps retirement is mind games? Or at least the timing of the announcement is in order to galvanise his team, otherwise why not wait until the end of the season, still think there’s a chance he changes his mind. 

Nah. I think it's just a case of getting it done now so it gives the club the time and best possible chance of hiring his replacement - or to tap one up with media pressure (Xavi Alonso). 

It'll probably give the squad a bit of extra motivation to do well, but unlikely changes a whole lot either given their form.

10 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

We have absolutely no chance of beating Liverpool here, nor in the final now.

I am sad Klopp is leaving - he is a great character in football, as much as we can hate the Scousers. It reminds me of the sadness when Jose, Tuchel left etc. 

We need these personalities in football and he got Liverpool from day one. I felt Poch started in that direction with us but has lost his way.

Well fair play for your even handedness but when I heard he was leaving I felt nothing.  Zero. He’s an oppo coach and one of our main rivals. I hope they now get someone who flops.
As for having no chance of winning either of the Pool games,  I say this. Are you going to watch ? Because why bother if you know we will be stuffed? Of course we have a chance, and we don’t technically have to win the cup final , we might just need to win a pen shootout. I’d take that. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Of course we have a chance, and we don’t technically have to win the cup final , we might just need to win a pen shootout. I’d take that. 

They did, bloomin twice. Be nice to give them a dose of that medicine 💊 

8 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Nah. I think it's just a case of getting it done now so it gives the club the time and best possible chance of hiring his replacement - or to tap one up with media pressure (Xavi Alonso). 

It'll probably give the squad a bit of extra motivation to do well, but unlikely changes a whole lot either given their form.

My view is he’s going.

Going in for that job directly after Klopp will be like going in after SAF and Wenger, almost a no-win scenario just like Moyes and Emery found out.

If you did feel it was in you to manage/coach them, you’d let some other poor sap take the initial hit and then look at taking the job if conditions were met. If they’d fallen off the pace in that intervening period you’d have a stronger case for transfers in etc.

I hope they give the job to Gerrard, that’d be a wonderful scenario to behold, the hopeful demise of both parties 🤞

10 hours ago, Dwmh said:

But it is quite misleading to suggest that the only reason Klopp got it right was because he was given plenty of time.  

True , he was also given plenty of money . £1.3 Billion I believe. 

One league title and one Champions league ( against Spurs which is like a by )

11 hours ago, Dwmh said:

But it is quite misleading to suggest that the only reason Klopp got it right was because he was given plenty of time.  

You also have to add into the equation that he took over from Brendan Rodgers 😀

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, east lower said:

My view is he’s going.

Going in for that job directly after Klopp will be like going in after SAF and Wenger, almost a no-win scenario just like Moyes and Emery found out.

If you did feel it was in you to manage/coach them, you’d let some other poor sap take the initial hit and then look at taking the job if conditions were met. If they’d fallen off the pace in that intervening period you’d have a stronger case for transfers in etc.

I hope they give the job to Gerrard, that’d be a wonderful scenario to behold, the hopeful demise of both parties 🤞

I feel it's basically Alonso's job for the taking. 

Between the football he plays, the work he's done to rebuild Leverkusen, and of course the Liverpool connection, it makes too much sense for them to look elsewhere should he be interested. 

Won't be easy to step in and fill Klopp's shoes, but I get the impression that those involved in the decision making are aware a new era is soon to begin with some of their key pieces aging. 

I'd love for it to be Gerrard because he's absolutely useless, unlike Alonso who I rate based on what I have seen of him so far. Not holding my breath on that happening though unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I feel it's basically Alonso's job for the taking. 

Between the football he plays, the work he's done to rebuild Leverkusen, and of course the Liverpool connection, it makes too much sense for them to look elsewhere should he be interested. 

Won't be easy to step in and fill Klopp's shoes, but I get the impression that those involved in the decision making are aware a new era is soon to begin with some of their key pieces aging. 

I'd love for it to be Gerrard because he's absolutely useless, unlike Alonso who I rate based on what I have seen of him so far. Not holding my breath on that happening though unfortunately. 

I agree that Alonso looks useful,  however he's won nothing yet.

If I were him I'd wait, there'll be better jobs than their's available over the next 2 seasons after this one.

That's exactly why I'd like Gerrard there too - he's a disaster. That coupled with their love of him would be quite something to wonder at. Imagine if Gerrard wants the job and it gets out to the fans, the owner's almost dare not offer it to him.

Edited by east lower

9 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well fair play for your even handedness but when I heard he was leaving I felt nothing.  Zero. He’s an oppo coach and one of our main rivals. I hope they now get someone who flops.
As for having no chance of winning either of the Pool games,  I say this. Are you going to watch ? Because why bother if you know we will be stuffed? Of course we have a chance, and we don’t technically have to win the cup final , we might just need to win a pen shootout. I’d take that. 

I’m just being realistic. We’re not going to win the cup or beat them at Anfield. You can imagine any number of flukey scenarios if you want but I prefer to be honest about where we are.

10 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Ferguson did this halfway though a season and I'm pretty sure Utd fell off a cliff. He ended up changing his mind and when he did eventually go, some years later, he had learned from that and announced it much later with just a few games to go. To do it now is ego gone berserk.

34 minutes ago, Ham said:

How so?

In fairness, having looked into their records Klopp and Poch had very similar stats in their first season. So I'll give you that one! 

The contexts in which they arrived were so different though - and Klopp had already won five major trophies with Dortmund. Poch has done nothing in his career so far to suggest he is on the same level, neither is he as impressive as a personality. 

Klopp said when he took over "I will win the league but it will take me four years" - and it did exactly. Poch said at the start of this season - I want to win the league this season and has been made to look a fool.

Don't get me wrong - if Poch can keep this up he will definitely warrant staying for this transition. My suspicion is we will fall back down after our upcoming tricky run of form, but who knows.

In any case, whether Poch deserves more patience in the short-term or not is a moot point for me. Sure there are some who are addicted to negativity right now.

Poch will never be our Klopp because ultimately he is not on the same level as him. Never has been never will be. If he proves me wrong then all the better for all of us.

34 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Klopp said when he took over "I will win the league but it will take me four years" - and it did exactly. Poch said at the start of this season - I want to win the league this season and has been made to look a fool.

That's an out of context headline.

"Do you want to win the PL this season?" should always be answered "YES".

"Are you going to win the PL this season?" is another conversation altogether.

It's an Impossible situation anyway because if he says"we have no chance" he's slated as negative and unambitious.

• Like 1

I think we'll lose this one by a couple of goals or more. 

What I'd like to see though is for is to go out and play without fear, like we did against City.  Cause them problems and let them know they've been in a game, even if we do lose by a couple.  To me, that would be more encouraging for the future than us parking the bus and coming away with a lucky 0-0.  If we are ever going to get back up  there with the likes of Liverpool, we have to be brave and go out to try and win against the best, home and away. 

3 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I’m just being realistic. We’re not going to win the cup or beat them at Anfield. You can imagine any number of flukey scenarios if you want but I prefer to be honest about where we are.

Winning at Anfield in our current position is a big ask, but a cup final on a neutral ground , between two Prem teams when a pen shoot can win it ? Come on!!

Im not sure what the bookies odds are for the Dippers winning both , but with that kind of certainty I think you should go and put a weeks wages on it. 

17 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Winning at Anfield in our current position is a big ask, but a cup final on a neutral ground , between two Prem teams when a pen shoot can win it ? Come on!!

Im not sure what the bookies odds are for the Dippers winning both , but with that kind of certainty I think you should go and put a weeks wages on it. 

It's not just two Premier League teams - it's the 1st placed team vs. the 9th placed team. With the 1st placed team having an iconic manager now on his goodbye parade making them nigh on impossible to beat. And what is our record away from Stamford Bridge this season? What is Poch's glittering record of winning UK cup competitions? That all adds up to next to no chance - if you think we can scrape through on pens then I am happy for you to wear your lucky underwear to try and make it happen. 

7 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

It's not just two Premier League teams - it's the 1st placed team vs. the 9th placed team. With the 1st placed team having an iconic manager now on his goodbye parade making them nigh on impossible to beat. And what is our record away from Stamford Bridge this season? What is Poch's glittering record of winning UK cup competitions? That all adds up to next to no chance - if you think we can scrape through on pens then I am happy for you to wear your lucky underwear to try and make it happen. 

I think you are massively overlooking the fine margins of a game between two clubs with talented players. Should we be favorites to win either match ? Absolutely not, because they are much more of a consistent team than we are, and they have better fire power.

To say we have next to no chance is just way off the mark. Football is not played on paper and any given set of circumstances could happen during the game. Petrovic could produce the game of his life and stop everything on the day. VVD could get sent off after 5 minutes. We may end up having a day of being clinical and only create 3 chances all game, yet score all 3.

We have not been the favourite in either of our CL winning finals........yet we both know the result of those!

5 hours ago, east lower said:

If I were him I'd wait, there'll be better jobs than their's available over the next 2 seasons after this one.

The media in this country would be aghast at you saying this.

There is however the small fact that the Real Madrid job is likely to be available in the summer. He's a Spanish legend, a Real Madrid legend a key part of the 100 point squad and winning La Decima. Played more games for Real than anyone else is his career played far more games in La Liga than anywhere else.

Can't be pissing on the British media's parade though, can't possibly be a much better, much bigger job becoming available at the same time. 

35 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Seems you've been caught up in the media love. That iconic manager has managed to win the league once. In 8 years.

Nigh on impossible to beat? If this Liverpool team win the league it will rival Ferguson's last title as the worst team in the history to win the Premier league. 

My prediction is they will win nothing and most likely come third.