Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Crystal Palace win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/02/24 at 19:00

1 hour ago, chara said:

Next day reflection...I made an unfair comment re Palmer at half time..... I think not so much I thought he was bad as that I have expectations of him and he was getting mixed in with all the non productive possession.

Ciacedo..usually can see the underlaying ability/potential but he made what I thought were lazy passes,,,not hit positively enough and intercepted or turned into almost what was once referred to as a "hospital pass".

Silva...to my unpractised eye it often looked as if he was looking for options and seeing none so appeared to dwell on the ball, Agree with the overall views but I don't think anyone including The Man himself expected that he would have so much playing time due to injuries all around him...he is not the problem and whilst nowhere near his prime still puts in a shift defying his age.

A win is a win and remember regardless of the oppositions place in the table every side is looking for a win and plays according to their coach's idea of how that may be achieved not how prettily that can be achieved!

Pep at one extreme and Woy, as an example, at the other,

@east lower,,,and others...thanks for the hands on posts....how was the atmosphere/attitude in the Chelsea band of Brothers? (and Sisters!)..any comments worth repeating?

It was reasonable, obviously the second half was better than the first and at the end of the first-half there were a few boos. But nothing major.

Three Little Birds perked things up, as did the early goal. Ending was a bit mental, especially for us oldies, Mrs EL was with me and she’s not so keen on that mentalness. 

Somebody directly behind me chest pumped with his fist, but must of got confused as he was thumping mine, or perhaps he thought I’d had a turn and was trying his best at CPR! 

Edit: Colwill didn’t look too healthy in the last 10 minutes yesterday either.

Edited by east lower
  • Thanks 1

Crap first half, better bot not totally convincing second half.  Poch must have made 11 substitutions at half time, replacing the impostors masquerading as footballers with footballers.  Gallagher was outstanding,, Palace must now absolutely hate him, he always scores at Selhurst Park it seems.  Caicedo must stop dwelling on the ball and taking too many touches, it really lands us in trouble.  Citeh next, and I will be watching the game from behind the sofa!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Funny or perhaps not,,,that was when I realised that Silva was looking for options to no avail...far too good a pro to needlessly lose possession by hurried wellies.

Edited by chara
  • Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 20:32, My Blood Is Blue said:

What a match to introduce this feature to the forum…

IMG_3668.png

Very cool.  14 fouls to 7 it said at the end (espn had 15-7 but  am not comparing validity).  They were forced into a lot of fouls on us despite having an occasional press not a full time one.

On 12/02/2024 at 21:00, DannyLB said:

https://imgur.com/a/M6t7HOa

VAR reviewed this and said it’s alright. 

Seems alright to me.  Caidedo loses the ball.  That might have been a foul but probably not and no one appeals for that.

Afterwards he collides with the next player.  If the ball is in front of Caicedo it is definitely a foul on him.  With the ball behind Caicedo and not in his control arguably it is a foul by Caicedo and certainly not a foul by Palace.

Still good on you for creating the picture.  I wonder if someone ranting about the "penalty" will do the same.
It is a fair few seconds before the ball comes back to Lerma and he scores.  Instead of appealing for a foul, Caicedo could have got up and stopped the goal.

15 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I'm sure the media and the rest of the league will hate it but it's nice to see some passion from our players.

So there is 4 Yellows there.
https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/total_yel_card?se=578

It is great that we have moved on from defending a 1-goal lead with all back to defending through counter-attack - that is what big clubs do.

The enthusiasm and intelligence of Fernandez there is wonderful to see.
First he sprints his way to be in the right place for the chance, and is so ultra cool in delaying his shot as the Salmon on the floor keeps popping up to try to block a shot with his face JT style.
And then he sprints for the crowd and times his knee slide to stop a good 10 yards short of the crowd, to celebrate in front of them not in them - probably because he was a bit shocked at the stupid booking we got from Gallagher's goal.

Unfortunately half the rest of the team (and Jackson) had enthusiasm and stupidity.

The ref should have booked at least 4 players for this entry to the crowd (not sure from clip if it is Gallagher's 2nd or Fernandez) to add to a couple for the other.

If I were a Palace fan I'd be fuming at the ref.

• Disagree 2

^^  So it was Gallagher's 2nd and he should have been booked as well.
perhaps he was lookng for his 3 Chelsea fan Brothers and Dad as revealed in the TNT documentary on the Gallagher family I glimpsed a few minutes of  yesterday.

Wish I could find a link to it or find a repeat time.  But when I looked up Gallagher family TV, all the links were to "Shameless"

6 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

One still doesn't magically disprove anything tbf. 

While I agree there's not much in the way of presenting options for Thiago Silva to pass towards in this photo, you could also argue that a more mobile centre half would've proceeded to carry the ball forward into the space which would've forced the defenders to engage. He could've also turned back inside and played a long diagonal ball out to the right wing for whoever it is that's standing on the sideline unmarked.

5 hours ago, xceleryx said:

One still doesn't magically disprove anything tbf. 

While I agree there's not much in the way of presenting options for Thiago Silva to pass towards in this photo, you could also argue that a more mobile centre half would've proceeded to carry the ball forward into the space which would've forced the defenders to engage. He could've also turned back inside and played a long diagonal ball out to the right wing for whoever it is that's standing on the sideline unmarked.

To be fair that’s not the first time we’ve seen something like this, it’s happening repeatedly. 

Silva isn’t the problem and Colwill isn’t the answer. The answer is to get a system and players in that are suited to transitioning the ball vertically and not sideways.

If Silva or anyone else goes into the space and a lack of pace isn’t preventing him from doing that, what’s he then going to do because all he’ll see is marked people. City fill those spaces trying to draw their opponents out, Haaland then operates a in front of the defenders waiting for the ball forward or the wide cut/back. It’s why he actually doesn’t touch the ball that many times in games.

From what I see at games and then when I can bear to watch it back, there’s plenty of good runs made by forwards, any member of the back line don’t/won’t make the pass. Is it this possession obsessed coaching that causes that not to happen? 

Id rather not see Madueke in our half anymore either, except defending set/plays - the definition of football stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Ham said:

I think the operative word is "Limbs"

I think whoever took that clip was in the Palace end! We did see a few handbag type altercations after that goal when two separate lads obviously couldn’t sit on their hands anymore and temptation got the better of them.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dwmh said:

The ref should have booked at least 4 players for this entry to the crowd (not sure from clip if it is Gallagher's 2nd or Fernandez) to add to a couple for the other.

If I were a Palace fan I'd be fuming at the ref.

I don't know Droy, the whole booking players for celebrating "too much" or removing their shirts so that the sponsors lose screen time is anathema for me in the first place. The fact that the introduction of VAR has made even the scoring of goals a delayed response for the fans has gone a further step down the destruction of the game. Maybe the fact we were "let off" by the letter of the law is more a commonsense approach by the referee. The celebrations were hardly an incitement to violence but rather an exhuberant expression of unbridled joy by both players and fans. Let's hope that is never removed from the game.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I don't want what I have said about Silva to be taken out of context.

It has nothing to do with a photo like this.

I'm talking about him playing walking football, whenever he has the ball at his feet. He can receive the ball with multiple players in acres of space yet walks with the ball, takes far too many touches and far too long to make a decision. 

He's nearly 40, it's no surprise.

Just now, martin1905 said:

I don't want what I have said about Silva to be taken out of context.

It has nothing to do with a photo like this.

I'm talking about him playing walking football, whenever he has the ball at his feet. He can receive the ball with multiple players in acres of space yet walks with the ball, takes far too many touches and far too long to make a decision. 

He's nearly 40, it's no surprise.

This wasn't directed specifically at you at Martin - more generally you can see this a recurring conversation among our fans.

I disagree that he is incapable of recycling the ball quicker. In fact, as I said, he's actually "quicker" than almost all of our players on the ball because he's so composed and accurate with his passing. His slow recycling was a mentality problem shared by the entire team in the first half. It wasn't entirely due to the tactics shown in that graphic, but at least it sketches out different reasons why that might of happened. As Poch said in his press conference, we were so flat in the first half - but that wasn't down to Silva. Everyone takes responsibility - Thiago more so due to his experience? Sure. But his passing and control is not slowed down by his age.

1 hour ago, east lower said:

To be fair that’s not the first time we’ve seen something like this, it’s happening repeatedly. 

Silva isn’t the problem and Colwill isn’t the answer. The answer is to get a system and players in that are suited to transitioning the ball vertically and not sideways.

If Silva or anyone else goes into the space and a lack of pace isn’t preventing him from doing that, what’s he then going to do because all he’ll see is marked people. City fill those spaces trying to draw their opponents out, Haaland then operates a in front of the defenders waiting for the ball forward or the wide cut/back. It’s why he actually doesn’t touch the ball that many times in games.

From what I see at games and then when I can bear to watch it back, there’s plenty of good runs made by forwards, any member of the back line don’t/won’t make the pass. Is it this possession obsessed coaching that causes that not to happen? 

Id rather not see Madueke in our half anymore either, except defending set/plays - the definition of football stupid. 

I don't think anyone has suggested Thiago Silva is the problem that once removed everything magically resolves itself. There still remains tactical issues that need to be amended for the benefit of our ball movement in general, however it's also not incorrect in noting just how slow Thiago Silva can be in possession at times - even with options ahead. 

A lack of pace does somewhat prevent him stepping forward into that space ahead, as any potential turnover of possession will see him caught upfield and incapable of getting back. If he did advance it forces the defenders to make a choice, which at some point they're going to then have to engage. Whether it creates passing opportunities or not is a case by case situation, at times it won't and the ball will need to go backwards or sides, other times it may draw a man out and create a bit of extra space. 

Our movement ahead is so-so. We do have some good runs at times ignored, others not seen, and then plenty of passes played in that are over or under hit. At the same time, we also have periods where we're stagnate which is not helped by our CB's being slow to move the ball around, even if its only sides it still makes the opposition move. Naturally possession football tends to be slower and more risk adverse, there does come a point where risks have to be taken particularly when there isn't necessarily the creativity across all supporting roles. 

Agree on Madueke though. 

But yeah, not suggesting TS gets dropped and all issues are solved, but I do think his limitations do require us to make adjustments to compensate. The Caicedo being able to drop back into a back three as that middle CB is a big one, we can't do that with TS in the side as he has to stay central. 

5 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

But yeah, not suggesting TS gets dropped and all issues are solved, but I do think his limitations do require us to make adjustments to compensate. 

Which is all anyone has been saying.

I personally think now the bad outweighs the good. 

• Agree 1