Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Sheffield United win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/04/24 at 15:30

8 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Designed by Thomas davenport in 1834, essentially the first EV  😉

baker-electric-car-1.webp

Best EV for a quick drive to the end of the road and watching a very annoyed milkman stomping up the road and shouting expletives with his empties in hand 😀  

I'll get my float. 

image.png.088c7aa3d8e3cda05cd688a0c8977209.png

Edited by ROTG

21 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I if they go out and just sign kids again, then it will all but confirm they are in it purely as an investment to try and turn a profit on as many players as possible. If they go out and sign the players we desperately need with the experience level we need, then I may start to believe they actually want success on the field first and foremost.

Nailed it Sam. I think Clearlake are here to milk the club for profit and nothing else

They have fooled the administrators of the sale of our club.Everything points to the fact.

As you say next season will tell more about Clearlake than Poch.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Nailed it Sam. I think Clearlake are here to milk the club for profit and nothing else

They have fooled the administrators of the sale of our club.Everything points to the fact.

Just to add I think Poch is a patsy for Cearlake - someone who is set up to take the blame.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

Just do the sums and you'll know that can't be the reason.

They've invested £3 + BILLION into the club. Buying and selling unknown players and hopefully making a few million or a few tens of million here and there for the next 10 years won't make a dent on that £3 + billion, let alone make them money.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

The way things are going it'll be horses. 

While researching, I noticed on a 1900 map a factory run by the local steam car company. Apparently, during the early period of motor vehicles, when the petrol supply was unreliable, steam cars were popular, especially in high-power applications such as London buses. There is a book called "Tales of Travel and Sport" by Major P.M. Steele, in which he describes the trials and tribulations of driving his steam car with his long-suffering wife, who seems to have spent much of the time walking to get help. They had boilers powered by wood, coal or oil and had a maximum speed of 12 mph. That's the life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

They've invested £3 + BILLION into the club. Buying and selling unknown players and hopefully making a few million or a few tens of million here and there for the next 10 years won't make a dent on that £3 + billion, let alone make them money.

I've done the sums and their objective is to make money from the club as a whole.

We are screwed with the contracts given to unproven players - unless they pump money into a new mamager and a new way of signing players we will just stagnate like man u. 

39 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Firstly never underestimate the ways and means these ‘investors’ will use to make or make-back their money.

Secondly, there’s nothing untouchable when it comes to a return on investment.

They are the proud owners of about 8 acres of real estate in one of the most expensive locations in the UK (actually soon to be 9+).

The paid £80+ million for just over an acre recently. So call that a billion, with planning permission that could be more.

They are also sat on over 140 acres of prime Surrey land, in one of the more exclusive area’s - Cobham.

Yes, they have to find a ground and training complex, but they are clever with most of their investments - it’s just us BlueCo that seems to be their issue!

My own view is that they were hoping to flip it on after 5years, I hear the 10 year agreement stuff. Anything is negotiable in the business world.

• Agree 3

21 minutes ago, east lower said:

Firstly never underestimate the ways and means these ‘investors’ will use to make or make-back their money.

Secondly, there’s nothing untouchable when it comes to a return on investment.

They are the proud owners of about 8 acres of real estate in one of the most expensive locations in the UK (actually soon to be 9+).

The paid £80+ million for just over an acre recently. So call that a billion, with planning permission that could be more.

They are also sat on over 140 acres of prime Surrey land, in one of the more exclusive area’s - Cobham.

Yes, they have to find a ground and training complex, but they are clever with most of their investments - it’s just us BlueCo that seems to be their issue!

My own view is that they were hoping to flip it on after 5years, I hear the 10 year agreement stuff. Anything is negotiable in the business world.

I mentioned this before about the real estate side of the club, which as you stated is something the money dudes would have considered as an option if things went south, before bidding for the club

Still think EC is an option

Oh yes - Kingsmeadow is also in the clubs portfolio 

13 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I mentioned this before about the real estate side of the club, which as you stated is something the money dudes would have considered as an option if things went south, before bidding for the club

Earls Court in my opinion has never been an option, far too costly to procure and develop. Rental of it, maybe an option if some other company did the buying and development?

It would be no surprise if they were looking at some sort of West Ham/London Stadium arrangement.

I hear the RFU aren’t in the best financial state these days, so even though it’s been rebuffed in the past, that might re-emerge as a possibility. The residents out there might cause an issue, they already have to deal with those ‘oh so sophisticated and well-behaved’ rugby fans using their property as public toilets every time there’s a rugby event there. Imagine the furore when us loutish football fans rock up every other week ! 😉

Edited by east lower

15 minutes ago, ROTG said:

They don't have full title to the land. It is not an asset that can be sold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, east lower said:

The vast investment in the playing side, of anywhere between 800m and 1bn, depending on which figures you want to believe, or use, makes this extremely unlikely. 

Yes, the results have been poor, but the idea that they are using the club as vehicle for profit just doesn't align with what we have seen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

These worst case scenarios (property, land value etc.) do make sense and I am sure they must have been calcucated in when they were making the decision to purchase the club.

I would argue though that their main goal is to continue making the club successfull and then milking the bigger cow. Like they openly said they want to invest in Starsbourg, other clubs and follow this Man City model. They want to raise ticket prices, merch prices etc and milk us for more money.

In their ideal scenario the asset both appreciates in value overall (like 3bn club becomes 3-4bn club in 5-10years or so) and then they also generate some cash flow in the meantime. They might not be "all in" on let's try to win all the trophies and be the best, but surely this does requires some good level of success.

I genuelly believe the idea that they have is a good one (purchasing young players, utilising data, trimming down wage bill etc.), however, this could have been excecuted just a bit better, simply get someone from the old guard to stay and advise on football side of things, mix experience with youth, get a good manager (or remain with TT :)). I just hope they can adjust this summer accordingly as someone has mentioned here on the forum.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 07/04/2024 at 11:07, Blue Moon said:

Had been looking forward to watching this via stream, but alas my life partner has invited her two oldest friends for lunch, one with the most insufferable bore known to mankind. The chances of hiding in the den with an ipad without that feckwit crashing in to interrogate me about my latest business venture, pension fund performance, golf handicap and latest clubhead design, his daughter's burgeoning career and my children's lack of their first million, or his home rugby performance (Wales - he was born in London, and became Welsh when he hit his 30s)  ..... you get it ...... is sadly zero. Can't even take solace in an overdose of gin, as I'd likely lose it and crown the bugger. This evening I shall go to the pub. Then watch MOTD.

I remembered this from pre-match as I have some odd relatives too.

Did you get to watch it after all?

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

The vast investment in the playing side, of anywhere between 800m and 1bn, depending on which figures you want to believe, or use, makes this extremely unlikely. 

Yes, the results have been poor, but the idea that they are using the club as vehicle for profit just doesn't align with what we have seen.

What other reason would an investment vehicle have, but to make profit?

It's not like they need to popularise themselves as the Emirati have attempted to do/have done and their pockets are less deep - by a long way. It would hurt them enough for them to cough.

I genuinely cannot think of a way they get £3-to-£4 billion back unless they sell, however every day is a learning day so always open to a bit of information/learning.

🙂

4 hours ago, kev61 said:

I've done the sums and their objective is to make money from the club as a whole.

We are screwed with the contracts given to unproven players - unless they pump money into a new mamager and a new way of signing players we will just stagnate like man u. 

Of course they eventually want to make money and I see nothing wrong with them wanting to do so. 

My point is it won't be through buying and selling players. Contrary to the myth, Brighton might make a profit on the selling player side of the business, but as a club they do not make profit, far from it as they are  100's of millions in debt to their owner.

The only way TB and co will make money from Chelsea is to make the club very successful on and off the picth and playing in a very expensive new stadium. 

Edited by boratsbrother
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Of course they eventually want to make money and I see nothing wrong with them wanting to do so. 

My point is it won't be through buying and selling players. Contrary to the myth, Brighton might make a profit on the selling player side of the business, but as a club they do not make profit, far from it as they are  100's of millions in debt to their owner.

The only way TB and co will make money from Chelsea is to make the club very successful on and off the picth and playing in a very expensive new stadium. 

That might be the case but they have also generated a lot of profit in the last couple of years as their model has come to fruition. As in, Tony Bloom may have invested money up front but now the model is starting to generate returns.

I think you miss the point somewhat about player sales. It's not just about making profit from players, it's also about running the squad at low cost, avoiding expensive experienced and older players by protecting assets over the long-term.

Sounds good on paper but it goes completely against what has been proven to win titles.

4 hours ago, east lower said:

I agree that anything is negotiable but I doubt that they will look to sell any time soon unless we start forcing them out.

The Glazers have been in charge for 19 years now at Man United. 
I think the harsher reality is they will set us up as a cash cow model and we will remain one of their many investments over the long-term - again, having a Premier League club like ours over decades is guaranteed to provide a return.

Precisely why the fans need to WAKE UP NOW and start protesting against Clownlake!

21 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

That might be the case but they have also generated a lot of profit in the last couple of years as their model has come to fruition. As in, Tony Bloom may have invested money up front but now the model is starting to generate returns.

I think you miss the point somewhat about player sales. It's not just about making profit from players, it's also about running the squad at low cost, avoiding expensive experienced and older players by protecting assets over the long-term.

Sounds good on paper but it goes completely against what has been proven to win titles.

They are not going to keep striking gold and keep finding mugs like our owners who pay outrageous fees for cloggers like Caicedo. Southampton had a similar good run of finding decent players and making a profit but look where that got them once that good run came to an end.  What Brighton are getting by on is unsustainablle. They have already peaked and I have no doubt what they have relied on will eventually catch up with and see them fall right away. Not that I want to see that happen to them btw.

Edited by boratsbrother

2 hours ago, east lower said:

What other reason would an investment vehicle have, but to make profit?

It's not like they need to popularise themselves as the Emirati have attempted to do/have done and their pockets are less deep - by a long way. It would hurt them enough for them to cough.

I genuinely cannot think of a way they get £3-to-£4 billion back unless they sell, however every day is a learning day so always open to a bit of information/learning.

🙂

If they sold now, they would lose money. A lot. 

The only way they can turn a profit, is to get us back near the top and winning trophies, then sell from a position of strength. It makes no financial sense for them for us to float along in mid table.