JaneB
Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Brentford win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

If I'm being totally honest it's rubbish like this being considered a senior player in the squad and wearing the captain's armband that annoys me more than anything. 

The standards have never been lower. 

• Like 2

On 03/03/2024 at 08:46, Rob B said:

But this was 20 years ago.

Society and the new generation are different.  Softer, entitled.  I just don’t think you can get away with rollicking them in training sessions like managers used to (ie JT’s story when him and Cahill gave the ball away in training and Mourinho told them he was going to sign two new CB’s if they didn’t sort their shit out 😂)  Or when he would make a sub in the first half if he didn’t like what he saw.  Nowadays players would be on the phone to their agents, who’d want a meeting with the Sporting Directors etc.

Love Mourinho, he’s my favourite ever Chelsea manager but I just don’t see any scenario where he comes back and it’s productive.  He either quickly alienates the players or hierarchy or both. 

and maybe JM has evolved too. I was just countering the argument and him and young players. he has worked with (and worked well with) a lot of young players.

There would also be none of the Potter, Lampard, Poch, "what have you ever won argument". having a manager with an enormous personal trophy haul commands respect. 

23 hours ago, Sciatika said:

If you remove the young ones who rarely played in 2005, the average age was a little over 25.

That is how averages work! 

Remove the older ones, the average drops too 🙂 

15 hours ago, Bison said:

If I'm being totally honest it's rubbish like this being considered a senior player in the squad and wearing the captain's armband that annoys me more than anything. 

The standards have never been lower. 

what bit of the statement do you disagree with?

Looking back at this thread, there is one thing that leaps out.

before the game, most were saying we were going to lose. The same people are then furious we didn't win.

I guess the predictions are not really very honest. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

and maybe JM has evolved too. I was just countering the argument and him and young players. he has worked with (and worked well with) a lot of young players.

There would also be none of the Potter, Lampard, Poch, "what have you ever won argument". having a manager with an enormous personal trophy haul commands respect. 

That is how averages work! 

Remove the older ones, the average drops too 🙂 

🙂 The older ones frequently played. Why would you remove them?

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

before the game, most were saying we were going to lose. The same people are then furious we didn't win.

I had a draw down I believe , not furious we didn't win , furious that Pochettino ruined it again 

• Agree 1

I thought we'd win. We scored a couple of good goals but a defensive error and a "worldy" means we end up with a draw. I think some of the criticism is over the top, but I can also see faults with almost every player that needs addressing in training. Does each fault cause us not to win? No. Does the combination of all faults? More so. But, mainly, it is because we rely on young players and young players are fragile. What we need is a small group of older players who are also natural leaders. They don't have to be that special. Just good enough to command the respect of the youngsters.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I went for the win though had doubts once I realised we were playing 3 CBs.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Pochettino. 

Pochettino is what's going on. 

Feel your pain Mark..and bewilderment,

I have just accepted it's "The Twillight Zone" in the dressing room.... alternative universe ...only explanation.

• Haha 1

Champions League contenders in the first half to a relegation team in the second is a quite extraordinary, almost unbelievable statistic!  

It's too simple to put all of that on the shoulders of Poch. He can't be given all the credit for the team getting good scores at halftime then all the blame for them being shite in the second. It's too unusual a problem  for the manager simply to be saying the wrong things at halftime. 

Just now, boratsbrother said:

Champions League contenders in the first half to a relegation team in the second is a quite extraordinary, almost unbelievable statistic!  

It's too simple to put all of that on the shoulders of Poch. He can't be given all the credit for the team getting good scores at halftime then all the blame for them being shite in the second. It's too unusual a problem  for the manager simply to be saying the wrong things at halftime. 

Have you heard his press conferences? Absolute nonsense from start to finish 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, jasonb said:

I went for the win though had doubts once I realised we were playing 3 CBs.

Absurd decision. And if you are going to play 3 at the back, it's Thiago in the middle 

13 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Poch claimed he played 3 at the back as Gallagher, Caicedo and Enzo were so tired, they needed an extra man behind them so they didn't have to do so much running... I call bullshit!

If they were all so tired, why pick all 3 of them to start at all? Chalobah could have played in CM if really needed, or he could have played Casadei, the guy he called back from loan for this very reason. He could have played just 2 of them and then played Mudryk, Palmer, Jackson & Madueke as the front 4 with Palmer as No. 10.

I just don't understand why you change your entire system and play a formation that none of this squad are used to playing together.

I genuinely thought Poch was better than this. I never studied his career or paid too much attention to him, but I'm sure he was better than this at both Southampton and Tottenham. He doesn't seem to know what he's doing and has such a fear of every other club and player that isn't his own.

I think his stats have been massively padded at Spurs by Kane and Son.  Might well have painted over cracks throughout his career 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

A simple guess could be that he’s runs the legs off them in training and the lactic acid kicks in during second halves, alternatively he’s just a crap coach and when he’s forced to have to change people and tactic's - he’s found lacking. Just like he was at Spuds in his big games. Jose wiped the floor with him by playing Kurt bleedin’ Zouma in midfield - KURT ZOUMA for god’s sake!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, east lower said:

A simple guess could be that he’s runs the legs off them in training and the lactic acid kicks in during second halves, alternatively he’s just a crap coach and when he’s forced to have to change people and tactic's - he’s found lacking. Just like he was at Spuds in his big games. Jose wiped the floor with him by playing Kurt bleedin’ Zouma in midfield - KURT ZOUMA for god’s sake!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Training too hard is something that's crossed my mind too. Having said that, they perked up again later on in the game on Saturday, so who knows what's going on with them.

8 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Training too hard is something that's crossed my mind too. Having said that, they perked up again later on in the game on Saturday, so who knows what's going on with them.

They were goosed, exceptions being Gusto and Palmer. Caicedo barely made it out of our half.

I watched Enzo and Colwill closely, they could barely run. Sterling brightened us up a bit, but we could still only muster one half chance after we scored. I’ll also reiterate that Brentford are one very poor side, who may survive on the back of Sheffield Utd and Burnley being completely out of their depth and having their fingers crossed that the Luton revival has/will burn out.

22 hours ago, paulw66 said:

what bit of the statement do you disagree with?

All of it. The blasé attitude and hearing this rationalisation from one of the worst performing players in the squad. 

1 hour ago, Bison said:

All of it. The blasé attitude and hearing this rationalisation from one of the worst performing players in the squad. 

So you dont think a draw was fair?

23 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Just seen this. 

image.thumb.png.a02dd136ef526833ce387a46e3e3db7f.png

What on earth is going on in the dressing room at half-time?

It would be great if we could get this info/data for last season. I suspect it would read pretty similar, except the 1st half would likely be lower in that table.

Of course, there would be many who would not acknowledge it then!