JaneB

Matchday prediction  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Wolves win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/12/23 at 16:23

9 minutes ago, Rob B said:

One other thing I need to get off my chest whilst I’m here (!)

When is one of the coaching staff going to sit down with Broja and Jackson and talk to them about the importance of getting a shot away early?! 

Broja had one in the first half where he gets put through, cuts back inside but over-plays it and runs into trouble,  and then Jackson (who is notorious for this) gets put through, has to get a shot away with his left food, but instead goes for the chop inside and balls it up. 

Someone honestly needs to make them watch a video of Harry Kane who is the master of getting an early shot off before the keeper has set himself.  

Yes, it is so frustrating!!!

Just take it the first time bloody shot!!!

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Someone honestly needs to make them watch a video of Harry Kane who is the master of getting an early shot off before the keeper has set himself.  

Excellent point, but if they don’t understand it now, are they ever going to grasp it?

4 hours ago, blueboy1905 said:

Nothing sums up this club then this image !!!

Screenshot_20231224_192208_X.jpg

This was just unbelievable, three against the keeper and didn’t score!!

Sterling was probably one of our better players today but that was so poor, selfish play from him that cost us the game in the end. We score there it’s probably a different result.

On another note, I think if Jackson or Broja get that Nkunku header chance they don’t score it. They were both really poor today, however the good news is that works both ways so hopefully Nkunku will start putting away all these chances we have been missing all season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johnnybozo said:

A million times this. I knew Poch was the wrong manager when the interview came out saying the full backs were not allowed to overlap. Bro there is ZERO point of a 433 or 4231 if you have no overlap.

Also sick of this possession nonsense that has oozed in to the game since boring tiki taka. Give me tight defending and blinding counter attacks over passing the ball in triangles round the back 5 for 80% possession anyday.

I used to wish for Simeone but he'd never join a shit show like this now. So all we're left with is 2nd place Susans like Poch.

We've barely have two proper fullbacks fit per match, much less have wingers that can efficiently track back and do the defensive work required to help out, or even the midfield at times that can shuffle across and cover.

We also then have to consider Thiago Silva's lack of speed, not only when it comes to the defensive line we can hold but also his ability to actually get out into those wider areas to cover - something he's always looked somewhat uncomfortable doing across his entire career. 

I don't like the lack of overlapping either, but there is genuine reason why Poch has opted for more conservative fullbacks. Obviously we've seen occasions where they do overlap, like Gusto did on several instances in this match, but we don't have the facilities to have to fullbacks bombing up and down the pitch in the manner we did with a fully fit Chilly and RJ a couple years back. 

Possession isn't nonsense either. You may not like that style of football, and I also find it annoying at times, but if you've ever played the game you'll understand that having possession is a huge advantage in most instances. There's nothing worse than having to sit in your own half for 80% of the game remaining defensively switched on and engaged, it's tiring - physically and mentally. You also need the right players to effectively take advantage of it at the other end as well, which again we don't have as we're already not a clinical side in front of goal. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

We've barely have two proper fullbacks fit per match, much less have wingers that can efficiently track back and do the defensive work required to help out, or even the midfield at times that can shuffle across and cover.

We also then have to consider Thiago Silva's lack of speed, not only when it comes to the defensive line we can hold but also his ability to actually get out into those wider areas to cover - something he's always looked somewhat uncomfortable doing across his entire career. 

I don't like the lack of overlapping either, but there is genuine reason why Poch has opted for more conservative fullbacks. Obviously we've seen occasions where they do overlap, like Gusto did on several instances in this match, but we don't have the facilities to have to fullbacks bombing up and down the pitch in the manner we did with a fully fit Chilly and RJ a couple years back. 

Possession isn't nonsense either. You may not like that style of football, and I also find it annoying at times, but if you've ever played the game you'll understand that having possession is a huge advantage in most instances. There's nothing worse than having to sit in your own half for 80% of the game remaining defensively switched on and engaged, it's tiring - physically and mentally. You also need the right players to effectively take advantage of it at the other end as well, which again we don't have as we're already not a clinical side in front of goal. 

Yes but having that possession isn't stopping us making ridiculous schoolboy defensive errors. I'd rather total football balls to walls trying to score and losing 5-4 than losing 2-1 to Wolves

27 minutes ago, johnnybozo said:

Yes but having that possession isn't stopping us making ridiculous schoolboy defensive errors. I'd rather total football balls to walls trying to score and losing 5-4 than losing 2-1 to Wolves

And playing open careless football is just going to exacerbate our defensive shortcomings further. Maybe if we had a more clinical forward line there'd be a greater argument for it, but we're not clinical enough in front of goal to be outscoring sides either if it comes to a shootout. 

Losing 5-4 to Wolves wouldn't be a good look either. 

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

And playing open careless football is just going to exacerbate our defensive shortcomings further. Maybe if we had a more clinical forward line there'd be a greater argument for it, but we're not clinical enough in front of goal to be outscoring sides either if it comes to a shootout. 

Losing 5-4 to Wolves wouldn't be a good look either. 

If we actually tried to use incisive passes and play on the break rather than passing 70 times across their defensive line they may push forward and give us opportunities. Or we get a draw because they're cowards. Or we lose 5-4.

Rather any of those options than Pep-ball-lite

I guess one of the benefits of yesterday’s debacle was it might focus the Board’s minds on just how badly we need a striker and some experienced players in January. With only a few days till the window opens, it can’t be a coincidence that Pochettino decided to start with Broja and Jackson upfront. Maybe he wanted to show the Board exactly what he’s working with and without reinforcements the rest of the season is going to be one long shit-show.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

One last point , Palmer  booked for kicking the ball away . Since we last had a player booked for kicking the ball away I must have personally witnessed twenty other players not being booked for kicking the ball away . Our games are refereed differently from everyone else's.

Bonus point . Chelsea are apparently the only side in the premier league not to trail a game at half time according to the Daily mail.

More proof that Pochettino must be doing something awful at half time considering the amount of games we've gone on to lose .

The coach who stole Chelsea.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Original 21 said:

I guess one of the benefits of yesterday’s debacle was it might focus the Board’s minds on just how badly we need a striker and some experienced players in January. With only a few days till the window opens, it can’t be a coincidence that Pochettino decided to start with Broja and Jackson upfront. Maybe he wanted to show the Board exactly what he’s working with and without reinforcements the rest of the season is going to be one long shit-show.

You’re giving him far too much credit there, he’s not that smart. 

Edited by east lower
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Sterling and Thiago are two of the most experienced players in the squad and they're both crap.

• Disagree 4

19 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Nonsense. No offence. They’re far from crap. 

We're constantly told the squad needs an experienced leader despite Thiago starting every game. Thiago is an error prone mess that forces the entire team to defend lower than it needs to.

And you saw Sterling yesterday (not for the first time this season) behaving like a petulant child by refusing to do the right thing for the team. 

Experience counts for nothing if the quality isn't there to go with it.

Edited by Bison
  • Disagree 1

12 hours ago, Rob B said:

That Sterling chance was genuinely inexcusable.  All he needed to do was nudge the ball a yard to the right and either Palmer or Jackson roll the ball into an empty net.

Palmer was incensed and rightly so.  A lot of other managers would pull him off for such poor decision making.  The selfishness was incredible, and its little moments like this that make a big difference.  We go 1-0 up in that game, I absolutely guarantee you we keep a clean sheet. 

The other infuriating one was how 3 of our players got booked for some form of petulance (kicking the ball away or dissent) all within about 3-4 minutes of one another, which now puts two of them out of the Palace game.  Proper mind-boggling stuff.

I’ve defended Poch on here in the last day or so but don’t think he did himself any favours today either tbh.  

So done with this season, honestly.

I don't think Jackson was an option for the sideways pass from Sterling as, true to form, he looked offside.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bison said:

We're constantly told the squad needs an experienced leader despite Thiago starting every game. Thiago is an error prone mess that forces the entire team to defend lower than it needs to.

And you saw Sterling yesterday (not for the first time this season) behaving like a petulant child by refusing to do the right thing for the team. 

Experience counts for nothing if the quality isn't there to go with it.

Bro. Really?

10 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Bro. Really?

Silva has been an excellent signing but this season should be his last for us. We simply can't move forward as a defensive unit with a player as slow as he is.

Now the bigger question. 

Sterling.

Is he better than Jackson and Broja? At this moment in time, of course he is. 

However.

Halfway thru another season and here he is with 6 league goals. For this return  he is paid 350 k a week. Is that anywhere near enough a contribution for the money? Absolutely not!  

At his age is he going to improve as a player? No way! 

Is he the level of player who is going to help our team get back to top four level again? No he is not!

He is what a number of us said he was when we signings him. A player who can do well in a top quality team who supply him with sack fulls of easy chances to boost his goal record. Without those levels of players he is a wildly inconsistent player who produces some moments of quality in amongst a lot of very, very average brainless play and also some truly appalling, selfish play.

For me he'd be first out the door next summer. Big chunck off the wage bill, some money to invest and we won't miss his modest number of goals either. Silva to be moved on too😟 along with Enzo and some fringe players.

• Like 1

A few observations from the game and my view at the club,whilst I prepare Turkey for Xmas ,and with the dust having settled a little more following the game yesterday.

I wish this was a more positive post. However, for the first time I am really worried about the future of the club. Not so much worried that we are in a relegation battle, but worried to the extent that I think we are well and truly in a period of time similar to what has been going on at Man Utd for the last decade. 

I'm not really going to get involved in comments on the manager, because it is clear to me that he is not the issue here. That's not to say he is exempt from any criticism. It's also not to say he is definitively the right manager for the club either. I just think any manager would have difficulties with this group of players.

I have lost faith with a number of the players being good enough to succeed here. I think many of the players we have are talented, but I find it hard to give them too much rope for just basic mistakes game after game. They do not seem to learn from these mistakes. This is not a coaching issue as to why these mistakes happen. These mistakes happen because many of these players cannot cope with the pressure and scrutiny of playing for Chelsea. They cannot deal with adversity when they are faced with it, and they cannot deal with the pressure of producing clinical moments, that helps alleviate  the severity of the adversity they will face.

I think we have a number of players who I will continue to give my full support to whilst they play for the club, but in my mind, they are already short term custodians of a squad position over the next 12-18 months. They are modern day Terry Phelan, Mick Harford, Clive Allen, Tony Cascarino type Chelsea players, who I don't see being here long term.  These players include Disasi, Badiashille , Gusto, Broja. I just don't believe these players have the right mentality to make it at a elite level club........then some players were also close to joining this list and they are Mudryk, Colwill, Gallagher, Jackson. In my mind, these lads get a little longer to prove their worth for various reasons. Mudryk/Jackson as it is quite ridiculous how naive and raw they both are. Gallagher for all his endeavour and effort, I just think he lacks real quality at times. I give him some slack for his effort and he may be getting reduced down to the low mental fragile level of the team around him.

So that is alot of players that I have severe long term questions about. Yet, we cannot afford to go out and buy 10 and sell 10 again throughout the summer. It's just not sustainable to do this again, and why would we have faith the owners/scouts would do a better job second/third time around. In conclusion, we are at least 5 years away from getting back to being a top 4 club.

We have a core group we can focus on and they are Palmer, Caicedo , Enzo (concerns the PL is the right place for him), Nkunku, Sterling (short time for 2 seasons), James (injury permitting), Madueke, Chilwell , Fofana and the GKs.

Time to focus on these key players starting as many matches as possible. I know Madueke name here will surprise a few, but he warrants some time dedicating to him on the pitch. He may not end up good enough, but he has more personality, self belief, positivity and fight in him, than quite a few others in this squad. He won't crumble under the slightest pressure, he will keep showing for the ball and trying to make something happen.

Sorry it is not a more positive post, and sorry it is very long for one of mine. It's the hope that kills you supporting a football club and a squad of players, and I am at the stage where I have lost a lot of hope with many in this squad. The club is a huge ship that is going to prove very difficult to turn around over the next 5 years.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

We have a core group we can focus on and they are Palmer, Caicedo , Enzo (concerns the PL is the right place for him), Nkunku, Sterling (short time for 2 seasons), James (injury permitting), Madueke, Chilwell , Fofana and the GKs.

Time to focus on these key players starting as many matches as possible. I know Madueke name here will surprise a few, but he warrants some time dedicating to him on the pitch. He may not end up good enough, but he has more personality, self belief, positivity and fight in him, than quite a few others in this squad. He won't crumble under the slightest pressure, he will keep showing for the ball and trying to make something happen.

Just comment on part before i need to prioritise the Xmas doings so to speak.

Enzo in and Jorgy out yet I don't think he wants to be a defensive mid and our current other midfielders are athletes built for box to box play.  I think for us he will be an expensive mistake.

On Chilwell and Fofana I do not think are reliable players to back either because of injury profiles.

With FFP we cannot afford too many expensive mistakes or we will end up like Leeds and everyone seems to want to fleece us in the transfer market. 

Another s****y day at the office.  Broja and Jackson are making Tony Cascarino look world class, and what a crap striker he was too.  Not a Poch fan but if we get rid of him who is out there to improve us?  Simeone?  No way, he has no ambition andi is happy to sit on his cushy job at Atletico Madrid.  Mourinho?  No longer The Special One, more like "The Clapped Out One", he finished as an elite coach, kapputt.  Bielsa?  Our defence is useless as it is, we don' want it to get any worse.  We've spent all that money but not brought a striker,  although Nkunku is off the mar and should be given a chance against Palace.  Another season of frustration awats.....

39 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Silva has been an excellent signing but this season should be his last for us. We simply can't move forward as a defensive unit with a player as slow as he is.

Now the bigger question. 

Sterling.

Is he better than Jackson and Broja? At this moment in time, of course he is. 

However.

Halfway thru another season and here he is with 6 league goals. For this return  he is paid 350 k a week. Is that anywhere near enough a contribution for the money? Absolutely not!  

At his age is he going to improve as a player? No way! 

Is he the level of player who is going to help our team get back to top four level again? No he is not!

He is what a number of us said he was when we signings him. A player who can do well in a top quality team who supply him with sack fulls of easy chances to boost his goal record. Without those levels of players he is a wildly inconsistent player who produces some moments of quality in amongst a lot of very, very average brainless play and also some truly appalling, selfish play.

For me he'd be first out the door next summer. Big chunck off the wage bill, some money to invest and we won't miss his modest number of goals either. Silva to be moved on too😟 along with Enzo and some fringe players.

Singling out Sterling imo is wrong. He’s no worse than anyone else. And while Thiago is finishing up, you just made a blanket statement saying they’re crap. That’s why I disagree. 

But anyway merry Xmas one and all 🎄💙