1. 1. Who lifts the trophy and how?

• Chelsea after 90min
    • Chelsea AET
    • Chelsea penalties
    • Liverpool after 90min
    • Liverpool AET
    • Liverpool penalties

4 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Imho this is only a "mickey mouse cup" when you're up there competing for the title or CL.  Seeing that we're nowhere near that level this Cup is as big as we can hope to win at this moment in time.  Also, unlike the Super Cup and World Club Championship, this Cup is a genuine competition with a long history, so  I'd rather win this than those other two. Beating that lot will be an extra bonus! 

Every season the Cups have always mattered to me no matter how the league season or CL campaigns are going. Every time we get knocked out of a Cup it upsets me. I'm very old school in thinking though, I harken back to the mythological status and lore the cups had before the PL was formed, a time before my birth yet I feel it speaks to me more than modern football. I will always keep that tradition in my heart and pass it onto other football fans. 

However having said that, it's a shame that winning the Cups gives so little prize money. If the PL could spare some change to boost the earnings from them, that would be nice, and also some sort of alternative Cup Winners Cup qualifying path to the CL for the season ahead would be nice too. Maybe a bit radical, but it would stop the constant debate about Cups mattering or not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonnyCFC said:

Does anyone know of any decent Chelsea related audio coverage of the game tomorrow?

I will be watching on tv but can’t bear to listen to the biased drivel they pass off as commentary, so want to watch with tv sound down along with some commentary from a Chelsea perspective.

I have even given up on a very low audio to try and catch the match crowd reactions and mood. 

Player identification is about all any commentary can offer...hard sometimes due to lack of familiarity with oppo players or bad angles but listening to biased and often ignorant commentary is beyond annoying.....I CAN SEE WHAT IS HAPPENNING!...as can all of you,

Difference of opinions and view points isn't the same as sound bite ignorance!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Every season the Cups have always mattered to me no matter how the league season or CL campaigns are going. Every time we get knocked out of a Cup it upsets me. I'm very old school in thinking though, I harken back to the mythological status and lore the cups had before the PL was formed, a time before my birth yet I feel it speaks to me more than modern football. I will always keep that tradition in my heart and pass it onto other football fans. 

However having said that, it's a shame that winning the Cups gives so little prize money. If the PL could spare some change to boost the earnings from them, that would be nice, and also some sort of alternative Cup Winners Cup qualifying path to the CL for the season ahead would be nice too. Maybe a bit radical, but it would stop the constant debate about Cups mattering or not.

Imho, the FA Cup started to lose some of its appeal when they moved the semi finals to Wembley and  clubs putting out weakened teams for ties.  Also, the TV build up to the Final is nothing like it once was. I guess part of that is football in general is overexposed these days.

As for Europe. I've always been in favour of the winners of the FA Cup being given a CL place. I'd also prefer just one other European tournament made up of the winners of the secondary domestic cups along with the team which finished one place below the CL places. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

Imho this is only a "mickey mouse cup" when you're up there competing for the title or CL.  Seeing that we're nowhere near that level this Cup is as big as we can hope to win at this moment in time.  Also, unlike the Super Cup and World Club Championship, this Cup is a genuine competition with a long history, so  I'd rather win this than those other two. Beating that lot will be an extra bonus! 

The Championship is also a genuine competition with a long history.  Doesn’t mean we should be deludedly happy about winning it so our owners feel chuffed with themselves.

6 minutes ago, JonnyCFC said:

Yep agree, I always want to see Chelsea do well in the cups. I don’t understand the mentality of not being bothered if Chelsea win a cup or not, seems really strange to me. Maybe it is a generational thing, younger fans not having any experience of what the cups once meant.

The return of the cup winners cup would be great, it would hopefully mean the opportunity to go up against different European opposition if there is the odd surprise cup winner. Add to that the incentive of winning and going into CL would heighten the interest for sure.

As for tomorrow, the bottom line is we are playing the bin dippers in a final, how any Chelsea fan is not desperate for us to win is beyond me.

If we actually had a run to be proud of I would feel differently. Of course if the team makes us feel proud tomorrow it will be worth it. But if we bow out easily it’s been a meaningless Southgate-esq. run to the final worth no celebration. The FA Cup would mean more if the Carabao was ditched altogether and we saved the players games and injuries.

• Confused 1
  • Disagree 1

39 minutes ago, chara said:

I have even given up on a very low audio to try and catch the match crowd reactions and mood. 

Player identification is about all any commentary can offer...hard sometimes due to lack of familiarity with oppo players or bad angles but listening to biased and often ignorant commentary is beyond annoying.....I CAN SEE WHAT IS HAPPENNING!...as can all of you,

Difference of opinions and view points isn't the same as sound bite ignorance!

When watching the Villa cup game a few weeks back they couldn’t stop referencing the bin dippers in the first half, even though they were not actually on the pitch. When the second half started, I made a point of timing how long it would take to reference them again, the answer about 6 seconds, in fact they mentioned their name 5 or 6 times in the first 90 seconds!!

It wouldn’t be so bad if it was just one channel but they are all as bad as each other. I swear sly sports have spitty carragher commentate our games to wind up the Chels fans.

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

If we actually had a run to be proud of I would feel differently. Of course if the team makes us feel proud tomorrow it will be worth it. But if we bow out easily it’s been a meaningless Southgate-esq. run to the final worth no celebration. The FA Cup would mean more if the Carabao was ditched altogether and we saved the players games and injuries.

Why would you feel any differently about beating that lot in a final?

Surely you’d desperately want us to beat them however we got there?

5 minutes ago, JonnyCFC said:

I mean I think it’s evident why many Chelsea fans feel that way after the last 18 months. Okay we all want to win tomorrow. Would be great to put a stop to Klopp’s victory parade. But is there a different feeling to this compared to watching a Chelsea team and season you can be proud of. An unstoppable team deservedly in the final. Of course this feels different to winning in 2005 with Jose. This would be a papering over the cracks win. A fun to stick it to the Scousers win. But honestly I would much rather be 4th and out of the Cups than where we are. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JonnyCFC said:

Of course if we play amazingly well tomorrow and just smash them, it would be incredible! But frankly if we play terribly and scrape it on pens there will be a part of me thinking of the owners popping champagne and wondering, maybe they would have more of a reality check if we would have lost

40 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I mean I think it’s evident why many Chelsea fans feel that way after the last 18 months. Okay we all want to win tomorrow. Would be great to put a stop to Klopp’s victory parade. But is there a different feeling to this compared to watching a Chelsea team and season you can be proud of. An unstoppable team deservedly in the final. Of course this feels different to winning in 2005 with Jose. This would be a papering over the cracks win. A fun to stick it to the Scousers win. But honestly I would much rather be 4th and out of the Cups than where we are. 

Oh yes I agree this is very different to the 2005 final, back then we were a team and club on the up, about to dominate and us fans could sense what was coming. This is nothing like that and as you say would just be papering over the cracks of what has been a disappointing season. Although I have been encouraged in recent games that we do have some decent players that have a lot of potential. Tomorrow is about winning a cup whatever the circumstances and yes admittedly an opportunity to stick it to them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

Sincerely hope we do (stick it to them).. Also hope that block 538 has more than tourists and “the silent majority”.  Won’t forget in a hurry the Windsmore clad “lady who told me to be quiet as I was damaging her enjoyment”. I was singing “blue is the colour”. Any repeat gets “Celery” ….

Edited by Blue Moon

If we have "the longest run of domestic cup final defeats ever in England", then at least we are getting to the finals, unlike so many others.

Come to think of it, how do we manage to get into these finals but are not able to win any of them? That seems dodgy, statistically speaking since the draws for progression in these competitions are random. Maybe we should do some analysis into how we manage to get into all these finals and yet seem incapable of winning any of them. I wonder what it could be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

If we have "the longest run of domestic cup final defeats ever in England", then at least we are getting to the finals, unlike so many others.

Come to think of it, how do we manage to get into these finals but are not able to win any of them? That seems dodgy, statistically speaking since the draws for progression in these competitions are random. Maybe we should do some analysis into how we manage to get into all these finals and yet seem incapable of winning any of them. I wonder what it could be.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Max, please don’t be too offended by this as I’m not trying to have a massive dig, but you come across incredibly spoilt, in terms of a football fan, when saying stuff like this. Just enjoy the ride a bit more. We’re in a Wembley final, I couldn’t care how we got there, but we’re there, enjoy it!

Many more on here will have seen worse times than me, but I’ve seen Chelsea when they were ‘just’ a cup side and I’ve seen them before they were even that as well. The Roman years were incredible, amazing and wonderful years, but those are years that not many fans get to experience at all, most will never even get close. Soak in the highs, but move on from the lows… but don’t forget them, as they are what make the highs even better. Remember when we weren’t sure if we’d even have a club to support after the government started tearing us apart? Well look at us now, walking out at Wembley!

I am not at all offended @My Blood Is Blue - but I also think it is unhelpful, as I have stated previously, to refer to Chelsea fans as spoilt, entitled, obsessed with the past etc. There is no incongruence between being critical and being grateful. Of course, I feel incredibly lucky to be a Chelsea fan altogether and have seen so much success. But you seem to be implying that because of that I am not allowed to be critical, or somehow that my criticism implies a psychological issue that could be resolved.

What if part of the enjoyment I get from being a Chelsea fan right now is holding our owners' feet to the fire? I am just being honest about how I feel - I think it makes an interesting conversation and that's part of why I come on here, much more so than to listen to endless complaints about media bias, Liverpool etc. etc. Personally, I think you would be better served going after some of the endless complaints about referees, on here how the whole game is rigged, how the entire media landscape hates Chelsea - is that healthy or enjoyable to listen to? I would rather focus my attention on things inside our control - and the owners count as that.

And that is not to take away any enjoyment from today - if we beat Liverpool handsomely then you can't take anything away from the boys. It's just a fact we've had a fairly pathetic cup run and it would feel differently if we'd have dumped City and United out along the way. But the fact we're playing Liverpool, it's a huge challenge and opportunity for us to prove something meaningful.

• Disagree 1

So dawns the day of the cup final and I've already had to resort to Radio 3 as all other stations are intent on focusing on the Klopp farewell tour and how he "deserves" to leave having won everything on offer. Not sure if I can even bring myself to watch or listen to the game in case I vomit over the new carpet listening to the commentary.